Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OCI Renewal after attaining Ager 21

Here is the situation...
    The OCI card was first issued when the person was 18 years. 3 Later after when the person was over 21 years, the US Passport was renewed. The question is, is it required to get OCI card re-issued in this case.

I could not find a clear cut answer for this in the official India government immigration website. So I called CKGS this morning and explained my situation. They said in this case OCI will need to be renewed since it was first issued when the person was under 21. I told them the travel is coming up in less than 4 weeks and asked what are the alternative options we have. They said the person could apply for an eVisa. I asked them if it is allowed to apply for an eVisa even though an OCI card was issued to this person previously. They said yes, we can apply for an eVisa.

I like to hear from anyone else who was in a similar situation, and what they did.

It is clear

Please read the MEA notification

Section 9 reads,
    The Overseas Citizen of India Cardholder registration is required to
    be got re-issued each time a new passport is issued up to the
    age of 20 years of age and once after completing 50 years of
    age in view of biological changes in the face of the applicant.

This is clear to me. It would be better if MEA had the OCI expiry date to match with passport expiry date for under 20 and match with 50th birth for older than 20 (and life validity for older than 50). This would make more sense and enforceable.

But I also read from posts you can travel after turning 20 and getting a new passport without getting new OCI. Just carry the old and new passport in this case. This is acceptable for a short period as you might not have time to renew OCI. Someone can argue that if you had time to renew your passport, why not OCI.

Comment

Yes, I have heard the same thing, but also some Immigration agents can hassle you

Originally posted by Liberty48 View Post
      Please read the MEA notification

Section 9 reads,
      The Overseas Citizen of India Cardholder registration is required to
      be got re-issued each time a new passport is issued up to the
      age of 20 years of age and once after completing 50 years of
      age in view of biological changes in the face of the applicant.

This is clear to me. It would be better if MEA had the OCI expiry date to match with passport expiry date for under 20 and match with 50th birth for older than 20 (and life validity for older than 50). This would make more sense and enforceable.

But I also read from posts you can travel after turning 20 and getting a new passport without getting new OCI. Just carry the old and new passport in this case. This is acceptable for a short period as you might not have time to renew OCI. Someone can argue that if you had time to renew your passport, why not OCI.
      Yes, I have heard the same thing, but also, some Immigration agents can hassle you if they want. One of the CKGS persons I spoke with is saying to take an eVisa in this case. I guess this is another way for India Immigration department to extract some money from the NRI travelers. Interestingly another email reply I got from CKGS (obviously not the guy who asked me to get eVisa) says just take the old and the new passports. Go figure. How do you trust CKGS if each one you talk to cites a different rule?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X