X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apostilled birth certificate

Hey,
    Does anybody recently applied for OCI.
    Did you guys send the original birth certificate (applicant's) or the apostilled birth certificate?

I am applying for my daughter (US Citizen) and I am not sure if its okay to send copy of birth certificate. I am an Indian Citizen.

Thanks,
    Rajan
    Last edited by rajanpanchal; 01-08-2019, 04:19 PM.

You can

Just google how to get an apostilled certificate for your state.

For some states, you can send an application by mail and get it by mail. You can also go to the state govt office and get it. It doesn't cost a lot. It costs time and/or postage.

IMO, it is ridiculous! You send them the original passport with the birth date which was confirmed by the US Passport office. Why they need an apostilled birth certificate? They can ask for a notarized copy or send the original and return it with the passport.

Comment

Originally posted by Liberty48 View Post
      Just google how to get an apostilled certificate for your state.

For some states, you can send an application by mail and get it by mail. You can also go to the state govt office and get it. It doesn't cost a lot. It costs time and/or postage.

IMO, it is ridiculous! You send them the original passport with the birth date which was confirmed by the US Passport office. Why they need an apostilled birth certificate? They can ask for a notarized copy or send the original and return it with the passport.
      I checked with CKGS they say its not required to apostilled birth certificate if we are applying based on Parents Citizenship

Comment

Thanks

Originally posted by rajanpanchal View Post
        I checked with CKGS they say its not required to apostilled birth certificate if we are applying based on Parents Citizenship
        Thanks for sharing.

So, what if the parents are Naturalized US citizens? rajanpanchal, you might not know. Do any others know anything about just sending a copy of birth certificate if the parents are not Indian citizens?

Comment

Hey,
          Does anybody recently applied for OCI.
          Did you guys send the original birth certificate (applicant's) or the apostilled birth certificate?

I am applying for my daughter (US Citizen) and I am not sure if its okay to send copy of birth certificate. I am an Indian Citizen.

Thanks,
          Rajan
          did you find an answer to this? Did you end up applying without getting it apostilled? Awaiting your reply!

Comment

CKGS reply

Originally posted by helpneedednow View Post
            did you find an answer to this? Did you end up applying without getting it apostilled? Awaiting your reply!
            CKGS reply:

Dear Applicant,

Thank you for writing to us.

We understand your concern, however with reference to your email, we would like to inform you that the documents checklist differs for different applicant and for different service category.

You need to refer the documents checklist and submit the physical documents ( originals, notarized copies, apostle copies or normal copies ) accordingly.

If your documents checklist says to submit apostle birth certificate, then you will have to submit along with the application.

Comment

apostille certiciate sent

Here is my first-hand experience. I didn't have to submit an apostilled birth certificate for the older kid, but I just applied for my younger one. I included the apostilled birth certificate

The checklist had apostilled birth certificated to be included, but it didn't say if you have to get the apostilled certificate for the original birth certificate or a notarized copy. I sent an apostille certificate request form by mail with the original birth certificate and a copy. I did not notarize the birth certificate copy. I received an apostille certificate attached to the original birth certificate with a state seal sticker. I sent it along with my kid's OCI application. I did attach a sticky note to return back the original birth certificate. CKGS sent back the original birth certificate folded and clipped inside the passport. I am waiting for the OCI.

Just google how to get the apostilled certificate for your state. It is not complicated. It just takes time.

Comment

Hey, So did you apply with just the copy of birth certificate. I am in a similiar situation.When I called CKGS,they told me it is required to get it apostilled.
                Confused what to do.

Comment

Hi,

I had to do a renewal of my daughters OCI who was born in US. For that purposes, I had to get the Birth certificate apostilled. I thought it was going to be head ache. I live in Dupage County in Illinois. As per the Illinois State site (Link below), a birth certificate can apostilled at 2 offices - one is downtown Chicago and the other at State Capital Springfield. I went to the Chicago office at 17 N State Street. This office will need a certified copy of the birth certificate. So before you go there, it has to be certified by the county clerk office. They will not accept a normally notarized birth certificate. So first I took the original birth certificate to the Dupage County administrative office. I filled out the form. They pulled the original birth certificate well preserved for last 18 years, then printed a copy of it on a County pre-titled/printed document marked with Dupage County title and signed by County Clerk. They also embossed with County Seal. It cost me $ 14 and 15 minutes for that. I made 2 copies which helped me later. I took the Certified copy printed to the Illinois Apostile office. I had prepared an Application before. They also have applications at the local office. That office receives people for apostille purposes like birth certificate, death certificate, marriage, divorce certificates etc. Each Certified copy have their requirements. For e.g a divorce certified copy will need the signature from the court itself. I gave the Dupage County Certified copy of Birth Certificate and the application with a fee of $ 2.00. I got the Apostille copy which is an embossed seal covering two pages, a front page from Illinois office stating the facts and the Dupage County certified copy. Opening up the two pages will break seal. This is where the second copy I got from Dupage County helped. This second copy will help create other copies. Time spend at office were 10 -15 minutes each. But it needs a lot of running around. Hope that helps. The local CKGS office has accepted my documents, I am waiting for final approval of the OCI. I will let you know how it went. I am sure each State and County has its requirements. Please refer to your State Apostille requirements and procedures.
                  Last edited by samlynn; 07-20-2019, 06:49 PM.

Comment

JUST WANT TO SHARE MY EXPERIENCE with Apostile in California Los Angeles county. For my son's OCI I sent all documents along with birth certificate copy, after document verification CKGS put the application on hold and they are asking birth certificate to be apostilled. Today I went to Secretary of State (Los Angeles) office ( 300 South Spring Street, Room 12513
                    Los Angeles, CA 90013 ) to Apostile birth certificate with the original one. They directly told that they can't apostile until birth certificate signature is certified by county clerk. Then again went to county clerk's office to certify the health officer's signature on birth certificate.

Both the processes were quick but it was a hassle. Just sharing my experience. this may help others.

Fees:

Certify Health officers signature: $20
                    Apostile Birth Certificate: $26

You can also request by mail.

Comment

Thanks for sharing your experience, I am in the same boat now.

Could you please quickly provide your inputs on the below points.
                      1. How to verify if the birth certificate signature is already certified by county clerk? (Not sure, what is the default for this)
                      2. And we need to apostile the xerox copy of the birth certificate? (Not the original one, do we need to take any other documents along with the original like address proof, ID proof)
                      Any prompt response is really appreciated, Thanks !!

Comment

uajaykumar, the original birth certificate needs to be apostilled. The original birth certificates have the seal and signature of the county clerk. In Illinois, you don't need additional health office signature. It costs only $2 in Illinois for the apostle. In California, looks like it is different. Check on your state/county website for the process and fees.

Comment

Originally posted by banikhimu87 View Post
                          JUST WANT TO SHARE MY EXPERIENCE with Apostile in California Los Angeles county. For my son's OCI I sent all documents along with birth certificate copy, after document verification CKGS put the application on hold and they are asking birth certificate to be apostilled. Today I went to Secretary of State (Los Angeles) office ( 300 South Spring Street, Room 12513
                          Los Angeles, CA 90013 ) to Apostile birth certificate with the original one. They directly told that they can't apostile until birth certificate signature is certified by county clerk. Then again went to county clerk's office to certify the health officer's signature on birth certificate.

Both the processes were quick but it was a hassle. Just sharing my experience. this may help others.

Fees:

Certify Health officers signature: $20
                          Apostile Birth Certificate: $26

You can also request by mail.
                          How long did it take for you to get the OCI? I’m in the same boat and running around to get the Apostilled birth certificate.

Comment

If your child is US born and you are applying for the OCI card from US then your do not need any apostille.
                            I can confirm this as I experienced it myself, they just need a copy of your child's birth certificate.

Comment

Thanks for sharing the update. This is a great relief.

The instructions in the checklist were very confusing and the reply from CKGS (Chicago consulate region) didn't help me. This was the reply I received from CKGS in Jan/2019.

>>If your documents checklist says to submit apostle birth certificate, then you will have to submit along with the application.

Checklist #8 Birth Certificate (if born outside India)
                              For applicants born outside of India, a photocopy of the birth certificate OR any government issued document that shows the following must be provided:Parents' Name Date of Birth Nationality
                              If the applicant is applying through parents, and one parent was born outside India, then please provide the Birth Certificate and Passport copy of the parent born outside India. Birth Certificate has to be apostilled. If the BIRTH CERTIFICATE/Documents are in any other language besides English, the document needs to be translated into English and it has to be notarized.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X