Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PIO Card for American-Pakistani National

Hello All,

I was thinking of apply for PIO card for my American citizen wife who were born in Pakistan and my daughter who were born in america. We are living in Canada now. I dont have any idea about the process for the PIO and I am confuse about that wheather they are elligible for the PIO card or not?

I was married in canada but i dont know how to and where do i have to register my marriage with indian government?

Your help in above situation will be appreciable.

Thanks
    K

Originally posted by k_hudda
    Hello All,

I was thinking of apply for PIO card for my American citizen wife who were born in Pakistan and my daughter who were born in america. We are living in Canada now. I dont have any idea about the process for the PIO and I am confuse about that wheather they are elligible for the PIO card or not?

I was married in canada but i dont know how to and where do i have to register my marriage with indian government?

Your help in above situation will be appreciable.

Thanks
    K
    k_hudda,

If you are an Indian citizen and your wife and daughter are not currently citizens of Pakistan, I believe they are both eligible for PIO cards. You can get the instructions and application forms from the Indian consulate with jurisdiction where you live.

The Indian government should recognize your Canadian marriage certificate so you need not register it again.

Hope this helps,

Tamtom

Comment

Hi,

As i mentioned my wife born in pakistan so she is pakistani national but my daughter she born in america and never been to pakistan so i dont know still they are elligibale or not?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by k_hudda
        Hi,

As i mentioned my wife born in pakistan so she is pakistani national but my daughter she born in america and never been to pakistan so i dont know still they are elligibale or not?

Thanks
        If your daughter has not taken Pakistani citizenship, then she is eligible. But current PIO rules specifically exclude citizens of Pakistan. You said earlier that your wife was "born in Pakistan" which is not always the same thing as "citizen of Pakistan", and that she is an "American citizen". Is she actually a citizen of Pakistan too?

If she is, I believe she would become eligible for PIO if she renounces Pakistani citizenship and becomes only an American citizen. If she prefers to keep Pakistani citizenship, then she would need to get some other type of visa for India. You can inquire about these matters at your local Indian consulate.

Hope this helps,

Tamtom

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X