Indian Passport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian Passport

I am Indian citizen working here on H1-B visa and my wife (Indian) is on H4 visa. We are expecting child birth in March 2007.

I want to get Indian citizenship and Indian passport for my kid (reason: I am moving to India for good by end of the year). Is this possible (since the kid is going to be born in the USA)?

Other questions:
    1) Will there be any problem later to leave the country on Indian Passport?
    2) Will there be any problem later (say 10-20 years) for getting a US visa for the kid? (At the least I don't want to create problems for the kid's future).

Your replies are really appreciated.

This will answer your question - copied from someone who has answered

Below someone has posted few weeks ago, i was going thru and remebered so copied and pasted. reducing your efforts for searching.

Anyways if u r serious and don't care about us citizenship for your kid then be deligent and do the neccessary

Have you got the boy a US passport yet? If not, you can still register him as a full Indian citizen and get him an Indian passport. Then he will not need any visa to travel to India. But if you need the baby to travel again to the US, there can be some hassles. For details about that issue, you can check this other thread:

Comment

Thanks for the information

Thanks for the information and suggestion. This does not look straightforward. I don't know if I should check this question with a consulate or a lawyer. I am thinking of that now.

I am pretty sure that I am not really interested in a US passport for my kid. The main reason is that I am going back and do not plan to come back in the near future. Also, all my family and friends are in India and we may not plan to settle down here. So, it makes sense to go with the Indian passport. But, if it is too much of a hassle like what is described in the posts, then it's difficult.

I think it will be really good if USA understands this and allow the parents to choose the Nationality. Some people want to get US passport and some don't and they have their own reasons for their choice.

I would request experts (I know most of the people here are not lawyers) to comment on this and reply.

Comment

Similar Situation

Hi bee4gee4,

Even we are in the exactly similar situation. What did you decide about the issue? Did you get any info about it? Do please let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by Nash07
          Hi bee4gee4,
          Even we are in the exactly similar situation. What did you decide about the issue? Did you get any info about it? Do please let me know.
          My 1-year-old US-born daughter is still an Indian citizen with an Indian passport and was able to travel to India. Feel free to send me a private message or email with any questions about this.

--Tamtom

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X