Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OCI question - Turning 50 while in India.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OCI question - Turning 50 while in India.

Hi,
    I'm a US Citizen, residing in the US and currently hold an OCI card.
    I need to be in India for a few weeks in October/November and during my stay in India, I will turn 50.

Is this going to be an issue, or is the fact that I will have a valid OCI visa and will not be 50 on the day I arrive in India the key?

Thanks!

Per CKGS website: "OCI card is required to be re-issued once on acquiring a new passport after completing 50 years of age". So I see no issues if your current US passport will remain valid until your return back to the US.

Comment

Oh man! My passport actually expires in Q3 2020 and I'm planning to renew it before the trip.

Do you think traveling to India with my new US passport, my old US passport with the OCI visa and my OCI booklet is a good idea?

Comment

I still think you’re fine. The rule is that you get OCI card re-issued the first time you get a new passport after turning 50. From what you’re saying, you’ll get a new passport in 2020 BEFORE you turn 50. The first time you’ll get a new passport AFTER turning 50 would be in 2030, which is when you’ll need to get a new OCI card.

Perhaps, other experts here can comment?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X