Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Surrender and Renunciation of Indian Citizenship Guide(Updated 17th Jul 2020)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surrender and Renunciation of Indian Citizenship Guide(Updated 17th Jul 2020)

This is a guide on surrendering your Indian Passport after becoming naturalized US Citizen.

Step 1: Visit this Link and fill in the form. The filled form should look something like this Sample. Pay close attention to the date formats as it varies throughout the application.After submitting the form you will be given a CKGS temporary ID. Make sure to save that in case you close the application before finishing it or get disconnected. It will be emailed to you as well. Remember your required documents/checklist will be based on the answers on this page. Your date of naturalization should be the same as listed on the naturalization certificate & not your US Passport.

Step 2: Click the box for Terms & Conditions then click proceed. You will be shown payment summary on the right. Just ignore at this time & proceed with the application. Sample

Step 3: Fill the Renunciation Form. Make sure to enter same details as your Indian Passport. When you are done, just click submit and review for corrections. Check the box under declaration then click proceed.

Step 4: Fill the Additional Particulars Form for Renunciation. Then click submit and review for corrections. Check the box and type in the place & click proceed.

Step 5: This is where you will choose the shipping options. I recommend you choose FedEx Overnight for Shipping to & From CKGS. This way you don't have to worry about their shipping instructions as they are vague and hard to understand. You do end up paying little extra($30) if you choose CKGS shipping. This is where you need to take a note of the payment summary. Your Money Order should reflect the amount shown on this screen. Once you are done click proceed.

Step 6: On this screen you will need to enter the Money Order/Cashier's Check details. Once you are done click the box for Terms & Conditions & click Submit. Then you will be given a order form. & Shipping Label Print/Download for future reference. At this time online payment option is not available & In-Person services are suspended due to Corona.

Step 7: Go back to my My Account. Here you will be shown all the forms/checklist that you can print. It will look some like This.

Step 8: Print all the required forms/copies & mail it. I've attached a basic checklist. Don't forget to sign and attach the downloaded barcode on the envelope before mailing.

Note: If you do not have your Indian Passport, a police report is required in addition to affidavit of loss. I recently did mine and my local PD has a online reporting system. I received my report under 2 hours.

I hope I cleared all the confusions. If there is anything else that someone would like to add please post below. I've attached sample forms as well.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Checklist.png Views:	0 Size:	136.2 KB ID:	737836
    Attached Files

WOW! This is very very useful! Thank you very much! I was really looking for help on the renunciation process and just saw this. Appreciate you putting so much details. I had some questions and tried calling the CKGS numbers earlier today and couldn't connect with anyone.

I am planning to start my & my spouse's application this weekend. Few questions:
    1) Do we need a self attested (true copy?) or notarized copy of the US Naturalization certificate ?
    2) Do we need to send the older Indian passports to or just the last/current-active Indian passport?
    3) I have a name change (removed middle name only) - which means my US Naturalization certificate just mentions the first name & last name, vs the India passport shows the first middle and last name, so unsure if any additional documents (other than 1 additional page that accompanies the US Nat. certificate indicating the name change)
    4) What may be the real turnaround time (if no issues) for the renunciation certificate at San Francisco. Reason being- we want to travel as soon as India allows (not an emergency though), and unsure if we should apply OCI (2 months regular processing time) or visa option (quicker than oci i hope) - once available.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by iuddd View Post
      WOW! This is very very useful! Thank you very much! I was really looking for help on the renunciation process and just saw this. Appreciate you putting so much details. I had some questions and tried calling the CKGS numbers earlier today and couldn't connect with anyone.

I am planning to start my & my spouse's application this weekend. Few questions:
      1) Do we need a self attested (true copy?) or notarized copy of the US Naturalization certificate ?
      2) Do we need to send the older Indian passports to or just the last/current-active Indian passport?
      3) I have a name change (removed middle name only) - which means my US Naturalization certificate just mentions the first name & last name, vs the India passport shows the first middle and last name, so unsure if any additional documents (other than 1 additional page that accompanies the US Nat. certificate indicating the name change)
      4) What may be the real turnaround time (if no issues) for the renunciation certificate at San Francisco. Reason being- we want to travel as soon as India allows (not an emergency though), and unsure if we should apply OCI (2 months regular processing time) or visa option (quicker than oci i hope) - once available.

Cheers
      1. Not req'd. Just a copy of the certificate. Double check your checklist as it could vary,
      2. Only most recent.
      3. Nothing additional. CKGS made me do another renunciation certificate form because my father's current Indian passport has first middle last and my Indian passport only had first & last. So my application was on hold until I sent new form with father's name as it appeared on my Indian Passport.
      4. Visit this: https://www.immihelp.com/tracker/renunciation-tracker

Comment

Thanks for the answers! I will update the tracker.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X