Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is US Naturalization Certificate required for new OCI?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Is US Naturalization Certificate required for new OCI?

    I have applied for a new OCI card for my son a couple days ago and got an email from today asking for both parent’s US naturalization certificate. I have provided copies of both parent’s US passport along with both parent’s OCI cards. So wondering if US passport is sufficient to verify our US citizenship status?

    I would have sent the naturalization certificate but we never got it back from US passport office after we originally applied for the US passport in 2009. I never thought US naturalization certificate is needed along with US passport, so I never bothered to get a duplicate copy of it. Also, I didn’t provide the naturalization certificate copy when me, my wife and our elder son applied for OCI few years ago.

    Does anyone know what can I do in this situation?

  • #2
    Wow, Naturalization Certificate is an important document (Just like you had your GC). You will need to apply for a naturalization certificate. It costs a lot (I think $600+). But yes, you need to have and maintain naturalization certificate always.


    Btw, if Indian Consular guys are asking for copy of naturalization cert, then you will need to provide it.

    Originally posted by Rkaramel View Post
    I have applied for a new OCI card for my son a couple days ago and got an email from today asking for both parent’s US naturalization certificate. I have provided copies of both parent’s US passport along with both parent’s OCI cards. So wondering if US passport is sufficient to verify our US citizenship status?

    I would have sent the naturalization certificate but we never got it back from US passport office after we originally applied for the US passport in 2009. I never thought US naturalization certificate is needed along with US passport, so I never bothered to get a duplicate copy of it. Also, I didn’t provide the naturalization certificate copy when me, my wife and our elder son applied for OCI few years ago.

    Does anyone know what can I do in this situation?

    Comment


    • #3
      Yes, OCI will not processed without Naturalization certificate of parents. I think it is best for you to apply for N-565, which will be a replacement naturalization certificate.

      Comment


      • #4
        I am applying for a new OCI for my son. But parents are Indian citizens on H1B visa. What is naturalization certificate in this scenario ?

        If you do not have an Indian passport and are applying for OCI on the basis that the parents and/or grandparents were Indian nationals - then PARENTS AND/OR GRANDPARENTS NATURALIZATION CERTIFICATE IS NEEDED.

        Comment


        • #5

          That requirement doesn't apply to your scenario. OP's scenario is different than yours. OP and his/her spouse are both US citizens and applying OCI for their son.

          Originally posted by vivekgovind View Post
          I am applying for a new OCI for my son. But parents are Indian citizens on H1B visa. What is naturalization certificate in this scenario ?

          If you do not have an Indian passport and are applying for OCI on the basis that the parents and/or grandparents were Indian nationals - then PARENTS AND/OR GRANDPARENTS NATURALIZATION CERTIFICATE IS NEEDED.

          Comment


          • #6
            Thanks. Does this mean I dont have to send Naturalization Certificate for my Son's application.

            Comment


            • #7
              Hi,

              I have one more question. I am applying new OCI for my son who is 9 month old. We (Parents) are indian citizens staying in USA in H1B visa.

              1. What is parental authorization ? Link provided in the checklist is not working.

              PARENTAL AUTHORIZATION – NOTARIZED AND ORIGINAL
              In case of Minor submit parental authorization. Download sample from

              https://www.immihelp.com/india/paren...orm-minors.pdf

              Comment


              • #8
                Parental Authorization should be a form which has to be notarized (I think). This form just basically says that both parents agree to American Citizen child being taken out of the country. There's an American law around this to prevent either parents kidnapping their child (due to domestic issues) and traveling to a foreign country. If link is not working, complain to VFS that link is not working. The whole VFS system and website is super buggy wihtout any testing being done of end to end process before putting it live to production.


                I have one more question. I am applying new OCI for my son who is 9 month old. We (Parents) are indian citizens staying in USA in H1B visa.

                1. What is parental authorization ? Link provided in the checklist is not working.
                Last edited by Donald_Trump; 11-28-2020, 02:56 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  You are welcome. Yes, you don't have to worry about Naturalization Certificate as that is only given if any one becomes a US citizen by naturalization process.

                  Originally posted by vivekgovind View Post
                  Thanks. Does this mean I dont have to send Naturalization Certificate for my Son's application.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I am applying for a new OCI for my son. But parents are Indian citizens on H1B visa. What is naturalization certificate in this scenario ?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I am Applying renunciation certificate for my minor son , he does not have a Naturalization certificate but has US Passport , parents have naturalization certificate is that enough to process for Renunciation.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X