Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Renunciation at SFO

Hi Everyone,

Struggling a bit to see some progress with my renunciation application at SFO.

My application was originally put on-hold at VFS for some weird reason and they would not tell me why despite all the calls/emails. I wasted $60 on phone calls, with an inept customer service team. Emails are equally useless as well as they just read boiler plate content.

I had to email the Indian consulate at SFO for help, following which VFS just sent my application to the embassy without any fuss. Wonder what all the reason for the hold for.

Is this some sort of a scam to get money out?

How long has it been taking at SFO once passport is dispatched to the embassy to receive it back. Any advice or input will be greatly appreciated.

Passport mailed: 12/13
    Received by VFS: 12/15
    Sent to Embassy: 12/24

Originally posted by chinniqueen View Post
    Hi Everyone,

Struggling a bit to see some progress with my renunciation application at SFO.

My application was originally put on-hold at VFS for some weird reason and they would not tell me why despite all the calls/emails. I wasted $60 on phone calls, with an inept customer service team. Emails are equally useless as well as they just read boiler plate content.

I had to email the Indian consulate at SFO for help, following which VFS just sent my application to the embassy without any fuss. Wonder what all the reason for the hold for.

Is this some sort of a scam to get money out?

How long has it been taking at SFO once passport is dispatched to the embassy to receive it back. Any advice or input will be greatly appreciated.

Passport mailed: 12/13
    Received by VFS: 12/15
    Sent to Embassy: 12/24
    Its possible that there was a delay due to the holidays and/or pandemic. I noticed on their website that the posted this on Dec 23:

That being said, the phone helpline is absolutely useless. The people on the other end are not even at the particular VFS Center so they do not have any more information than what's available through the tracker. My center was Chicago and it was the same thing. They told me that they will email someone at the VFS center and then forward me the response. It never came. They will waste your time on the call trying to confirm your Application ID number multiple times so that you use up your first 5 minutes of free talk. I don't know if its by design or just sheer incompetence but that's just the way it is.

I also had to escalate to the Consulate after which someone who is actually at the VFS Chicago center reached out to me. The Chicago consulate actually did their thing with the Renunciation in one day, once it was delivered to them. SFO may be different.

Comment

chinniqueen Go ahead and file a dispute with your credit card company saying that the level of service wasn't provided after charging $60. Or just mention that it was useless. You will get your $60 back.

This is a total rip off and not acceptable.

Comment

Exactly same problem happened to me when I applied. I had to escalate to the consulate as the phone service was just retarded. Some random desi guy in India is answering the calls who has no idea about anything and usually just asks you all tracking information. They have no information other than what you already see on the tracking section.

Comment

Hi chinniqueen I'm in same boat, exactly similar dates though i never contacted VFS and they sent my renunciation application to Embassy after a holdup of few days. I'm also still waiting.

Comment

Aura790 Hi, it is unclear what the delay is as it shows in the government website that surrender certificate has been printed. Let us hope for the best this week.

Comment

chinniqueen , how did you check that surrender certificate is printed?

For me also the consulate is SFO and the timeline is similar and stuck in status "Your application has reached the Embassy".

Received by VFS - 12/23
              In Transit’ to the Embassy - 12/29

Comment

sks123 Login to your account you created on the government website for passport surrender here: https://embassy.passportindia.gov.in/

After you login, you can click on "Track application status" at the bottom of the page.

Comment

chinniqueen I tried to track on the government website but it says application number cannot be tracked.

Comment

Originally posted by chinniqueen View Post
                    sks123 Login to your account you created on the government website for passport surrender here: https://embassy.passportindia.gov.in/

After you login, you can click on "Track application status" at the bottom of the page.
                    Thanks chinniqueen . For my status shows - "Surrender certificate is under review at Indian Embassy/Consulate.". Its almost one month and I hope it will be processed soon!

Comment

Aura790 You will not be able to track until you login to the website under your account. Once you login, it will show active applications and u can track status there. Some kind of a bug in the system.

Comment

kiranboda thanks for the info. I'll try again.

Comment

kiranboda So I tried again and this time I logged in and was able to check my status- it says surrender certificate under review. You were right about logging in first and I tried from my Mac rather than my phone so it worked now. Thank you for the help.

Comment

So this is what I found on the SF embassy website-

PROCESSING TIME FOR RENUNCIATION OF INDIAN CITIZENSHIP AND ISSUANCE OF RENUNCIATION CERTIFICATE (from the day the application is received in the Consulate)

General processing time period - for US passport holders - 30 Days (from the day the application is received in the Consulate).

The above time period is an indicative general processing time and does not include the period for transfer of applications from VFS Global to Consulate and back. There may be a longer processing time for other types of cases like: holders of non US foreign passport holders, cases where the documents are not as per guidelines, or issues of penalty etc.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                            X