Legal action against VFS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legal action against VFS

I sent my application to VFS over one and half month ago. It has still not been processed and unclear when I will receive my passport back. The expected time was less than a week.

- From the forums, it is clear that long delays are the norm with a large number of applications and this is not an isolated incident
    - VFS returns all emails with useless cut and paste messages. Amazingly enough, they actually charge if you call the customer service phone line

- VFS accepts payments upfront. There is no delay on their part in accepting payments and selling additional services. However when it comes time to actually perform the service, their is no end on sight

- VFS is clearly responsible for providing services in a reasonable amount of time. Making customer wait 1.5 months + is way beyond negligent. This is preventing us from being able to visit our parents who are suffering from illnesses back home and need us to visit urgently

- I have spoken to a lawyer about filing a legal action against VFS. This is the only action which will cause VFS to start acting responsibly

- I wanted to see if others on the forum with similar issues want to join the legal effort. Unfortunately this is the only viable option to make VFS perform their end of the bargain

Thanks
    Last edited by help_imm; 01-19-2021, 06:06 PM.

help_imm - It is unfortunate that is has come to this for you. Personally, I haven't faced any issues with VFS based in Houston so far (Both renunciation and OCI). So I have no case for any legal action against them.

VFS has been known for their incompetence and high-handedness.

There has been a case already in UK against VFS after they messed up there, Read this ->

You should definitely sue them if it is feasible for you. All the best. I hope you can find some more support here through this forum in your action.
    Last edited by ceci1073; 03-16-2022, 11:14 AM. Reason: Link

Comment

Originally posted by help_imm View Post
      I sent my application to VFS over one and half month ago. It has still not been processed and unclear when I will receive my passport back. The expected time was less than a week.

- From the forums, it is clear that long delays are the norm with a large number of applications and this is not an isolated incident
      - VFS returns all emails with useless cut and paste messages. Amazingly enough, they actually charge if you call the customer service phone line

- VFS accepts payments upfront. There is no delay on their part in accepting payments and selling additional services. However when it comes time to actually perform the service, their is no end on sight

- VFS is clearly responsible for providing services in a reasonable amount of time. Making customer wait 1.5 months + is way beyond negligent. This is preventing us from being able to visit our parents who are suffering from illnesses back home and need us to visit urgently

- I have spoken to a lawyer about filing a legal action against VFS. This is the only action which will cause VFS to start acting responsibly

- I wanted to see if others on the forum with similar issues want to join the legal effort. Unfortunately this is the only viable option to make VFS perform their end of the bargain

Thanks
      Have they not returned your US passport ?

In my experience escalating to the Consulate/Embassy is the way to go if they don't answer. As others have said, VFS is known for incompetence and gross negligence(they sent my renunciation and canceled Indian passport to the wrong recipient!)
      Having said that I'd urge you to think of the second order and third order effects of taking legal actions and if this would cause more issues for you in the future if you were to apply for visa/oci/renewal.

Comment

sinnerman26 - I don't think suing a private company which is a 3rd party vendor would have any adverse effects on future consular processing. In fact, after legal case, VFS would be more vigilant to not mess up and give evidence that they are incompetent and not suitable to operate in US.

help_imm - If you do plan to proceed with legal actions, make sure you are all backed up with evidences in the form of any paper trail (emails), call logs, payment invoices etc. Again, a professional attorney would be in a better position to advise you on this.

Originally posted by sinnerman26 View Post

Having said that I'd urge you to think of the second order and third order effects of taking legal actions and if this would cause more issues for you in the future if you were to apply for visa/oci/renewal.
        Last edited by Donald_Trump; 01-20-2021, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sinnerman26 View Post

Have they not returned your US passport ?

In my experience escalating to the Consulate/Embassy is the way to go if they don't answer. As others have said, VFS is known for incompetence and gross negligence(they sent my renunciation and canceled Indian passport to the wrong recipient!)
          Very much appreciate everyone's comments.

I firmly believe that none of us should be afraid of retribution if we are simply asking a company to perform their basic duties in a reasonable amount of time. Asking VFS to process applications in 45 days is beyond reasonable. Most people would want their passport back in a few days, leave alone few weeks with no end in sight.

I am in a much worse position where it's been 45 days and I don't have any idea how much longer it will take.

Comment

Correct, and if there are any issues, bottlenecks on their end, it should be communicated accordingly to the applicants so there is transparency and applicants are not anxious or in the dark about what's happening. That's the least VFS can do.

Very much appreciate everyone's comments.

I firmly believe that none of us should be afraid of retribution if we are simply asking a company to perform their basic duties in a reasonable amount of time. Asking VFS to process applications in 45 days is beyond reasonable. Most people would want their passport back in a few days, leave alone few weeks with no end in sight.

I am in a much worse position where it's been 45 days and I don't have any idea how much longer it will take.

Comment

Hi! I’m experiencing this exact situation with VFS. I’ve been waiting 2 mos and no help whatsoever. I’ve missed my flight and doesn’t look like I’ll get it in time.. even though I’ve received a notification that it would be dispatched. So might miss my second flight. Did you end up taking action? I would be interested in pursuing legal action. Lmk!

Comment

There is no denying the fact that the overall experience majority of customers get in having quick turnaround and timely help to visa/passport renewals is very dismal.

Few factors why the experience is bad :

1. process/procedures listed on the VFS and consulate sites are often not very clear and result in ambiguity. Example : asking for foreign passport in renunciation form is a disaster. Someone should fix the errors and take feedback. Keeps money flowing with rejects and resubmits.

2. Nonexistent customer service or response. While VFS is consistent in being silent to most emails, experience with one particular consulate in the US is equally bad. Others have known to deliver better service and timely help. So for some of us the wait times have been very bad.

3. There is no defined time to get papers back, and there is never a guarantee so seriously doubt one can win on that.nowhere is there a mention to turn around in XX days.

The fight/case should be on the lack of customer-service and half baked processes that keep changing every few months.

Comment

Thanks
                  I will join your effort. I am an academic living and working in a UK university. VFS has caused me several delays to attend conferences and meetings and thus disrupt my career advancement. If we are going to pursue this, I suggest we go with a high-quality US lawyer. Who have you contacted?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                  X