Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minor OCI renewal upon passport renewal and travel query

Hello,

My daugthers, who have OCI, have gotten passport renewed 2 times since living in India for the past 9 years. But, we have not renewed the OCI with the updated passport information. We travelled to US about 4 years ago, without any issues as we showed the old passport that was in the OCI.

I had applied last week for the OCI Misc Services for OCI renewal at FRRO Ahmedabad but my appointment is in a month.
    My issue is that I need to travel end of March.

My question is that can I travel abroad with the old passports in hand? Will it pose a risk to travel without the updated OCI?

I am confused whether I should appear for the OCI renewal appointment in mid March as I have been told that once I appear for the appointment, we have to stay in India for a minimum of 3 months until we have OCI card in hand.

Please let me know as soon as possible. Thank you!

OCI is needed for entry into India. You may or may not have any issues without the renewal while leaving India but getting back into India can be a problem. As per rules, OCI needs to be renewed for minors if their passport is renewed.

Originally posted by YogiGirl View Post
    Hello,

My daugthers, who have OCI, have gotten passport renewed 2 times since living in India for the past 9 years. But, we have not renewed the OCI with the updated passport information. We travelled to US about 4 years ago, without any issues as we showed the old passport that was in the OCI.

I had applied last week for the OCI Misc Services for OCI renewal at FRRO Ahmedabad but my appointment is in a month.
    My issue is that I need to travel end of March.

My question is that can I travel abroad with the old passports in hand? Will it pose a risk to travel without the updated OCI?

I am confused whether I should appear for the OCI renewal appointment in mid March as I have been told that once I appear for the appointment, we have to stay in India for a minimum of 3 months until we have OCI card in hand.

Please let me know as soon as possible. Thank you!

Comment

YogiGirl See this from CGI San Francisco website: https://www.cgisf.gov.in/docs/160349...t%202020-1.pdf

They have temporarily waived renewal of OCI cards till June 30th. I would recommend keeping this print-out handy as this is from the Consulate and show it if you face a problem.

Comment

Thank you, I hope we won't face any problems while travelling to the US from India! Travelling end of next week

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X