Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

penaltys for not surrendering indian passport??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• penaltys for not surrendering indian passport??

I became a US citizen in 99 and got a 10 year Indian tourist visa that year. I'm thinking of applying for an OCI card now to avoid repeated fees...

I never traveled on my indian passport after 99, but looks like I might be charged penaltys for not surrendering it till now:

https://www.immihelp.com/indian-citizenship-renunciation-certificate/

True? Is it better to say lost my Indian passport and show them my 10 year Indian tourist visa

Thanks
    Last edited by vickh; 09-11-2010, 06:40 PM.

Travel on Indian passport after obtaining citizenship of another country is a jailable offense for upto 5 years.

Penalty is $250 per trip. You should pay it and surrender the Indian PP by paying the surrender fees.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Originally posted by txh1b View Post
      Travel on Indian passport after obtaining citizenship of another country is a jailable offense for upto 5 years.

Penalty is $250 per trip. You should pay it and surrender the Indian PP by paying the surrender fees.

never traveled on Indian passport after obtaining US citizenship , just didn't know I had to surrender it. Please reread my OP

I have no problems paying the $20 surrender fee, but want to know if I will have to pay an additional penaltys
      Last edited by vickh; 09-11-2010, 10:27 PM.

Comment

I am not aware of additional penalty unless you travelled to India on the PP.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

So it looks like they will be changing the OCI processor .. Will they be getting rid of the surrender cert. rule?

Also does that mean I can apply at any consulate (live in AZ, but visit my sister in TX a lot and would prefer to do it in person there..)
          Last edited by vickh; 11-02-2020, 09:07 PM.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X