Oci help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oci help needed

Hi I'm a Singapore born Indian and would like to know if you could help . My situation is as below:

I'm not sure what the requirements are. i have read it on their website but it's still not clear for me.

My parents and my grandparents are born in Singapore. I do not have any details about my great grandparents and where they were born from. I understand that i need to upload proofs of my parents or grandparents or great grandparents origin of birth from India etc. Since i don't know the place of birth of my great grandparents, what could i do?

I also read that they had mention the year 1950 or after. So does that mean my parents or grandparents should have been born in India after 1950? Because my father himself is born in 1950(Singapore) so my grandparents and great grandparents were definitely born way before 1950.

So any help or advice will be appreciated. I have tried contacting the Indian embassy in India and Singapore and was only told to go to the oci website and read the requirements there but it does not mention anything related to my current situation.

P.s: My race is Indian, so obviously my ancestors were Indian too and someone in my family root has to have been from India, why isn't this enough for them as proof?

Thanks
    Last edited by Hayabusa1208; 05-02-2022, 04:55 PM.

Sorry but, IMO, you are not eligible for OCI. Download and read the FAQ: https://www.mea.gov.in/images/pdf/oci-faq.pdf

Any person who, or whose parents or grand-parents were born in India as defined in the Government of India Act, 1935 (as originally enacted), and who was ordinarily residing in any country outside India was eligible to become citizen of India on 26.01.1950.
    You (or your parents / grand parents) must be able to provide proof of Indian citizenship. Without proof, you will not be eligible. Also, I do not think you can claim OCI based on great grand parents, but you do not have their proof anyway.

BTW, 'Indian' is not a race. Most SEA countries (India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh etc) are the same race. So just claiming Indian ancestry will not make you eligible for OCI.

Comment

It is important to know your family's heritage and to find the grave of lost relatives. At https://peoplelegacy.com/blog/angels-on-headstones/ you can search by a relative's name, browse cemeteries or all cemeteries in a particular state, and even find angel headstones. Many people I know have used this site and have successfully found what they were looking for.
      Last edited by Nikolas23; 09-29-2023, 07:15 AM.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X