Traveling without updating OCI with new passport information for a minor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traveling without updating OCI with new passport information for a minor

We are traveling onJan 26th. My daughter's passport renewal got delayed and finally I got an emergency passport appointment and we will get passport on 24th only. Can I travel with her OCI and old and new passports without updating the online OCI system? We can start the online submission process, not sure we will be able to get it completed or get the final approval from Embassy. Any experience?

Just submit the online updation when you get the new passport and you can travel immediately. There is no restriction on travel while your update application is in process.

You don't need to even carry the old passport, but it is a good idea to keep it handy.

Comment

Originally posted by arkaa View Post
      Just submit the online updation when you get the new passport and you can travel immediately. There is no restriction on travel while your update application is in process.

You don't need to even carry the old passport, but it is a good idea to keep it handy.
      Are you sure that this is the case? I have spoken twice with HCI - once i was told my children can travel, so long as their new passport details/photo etc has been submitted. Once I was told that I would need to wait for it to be accepted (my application currently says Under Consideration in status enquiry). I am due to travel on 30th Jan so need clarification in case i urgently need to get an evisa!

Comment

Yes, I am certain. My kid travelled to India & back the week after I submitted the new passport details online. We didn't face any issues (immigration at Delhi airport) - but your experience could be different. It took more than 2 months before I got a "Details Updated" confirmation email from the Consulate.

It clearly says:
        Travel restrictions. There are no travel restrictions from the date the new passport is issued until new details are recorded on the OCI portal.​
        If you are still worried, here is the press release from the SFO Consulate: https://www.cgisf.gov.in/news_detail/?newsid=111
        Read this paragraph at the bottom:
        The details will be updated on the system and an auto acknowledgement through e-mail will be sent to the OCI cardholder informing that the updated details have been taken on record. There will be no restriction on the OCI cardholder to travel to/ from India during the period from the date of issue of new passport till the date of final acknowledgement of his/ her documents in the web-based system.
        You can find the same press release from your local Indian consulate's web site or just download the below linked PDF from the Embassies of India official government website.

You will find the relevant information on Page 2, Item, 3(f). Print it and keep a copy with you in case any one questions.

Comment

queenstar I am in similar situation like you. Got my son's passport renewed recently and applied for OCI update (still waiting for the final confirmation). Have you made any decision or heard any other information apart from what arkaa has mentioned above (which makes sense that existing OCI should technically work)

arkaa thanks for sharing the links...can you reshare the https://eoi.gov.in/ashgabat/?pdf12594?000​ the server appears to be down or in case you have downloaded the file, can you upload here? also when did you travel in this situation?

Comment

arkaa thanks for sharing the links...can you reshare the https://eoi.gov.in/ashgabat/?pdf12594?000​ the server appears to be down or in case you have downloaded the file, can you upload here? also when did you travel in this situation?
            Link is working fine for me. You can also go to the Ashgabat EOI website and look for the PDF - https://eoi.gov.in/ashgabat/
            It is right on the main page, under "Important Information", with the title "Notice for OCI Card Holders".

Comment

More proof

(Note: The mandatory requirement of re-issuance of an OCI card each time a new passport is issued to a foreigner up to 20 years of age and once after completing 50 years of age, is dispensed with.)​

Just register/upload and travel.
              ii) OCI cardholder is required to upload ONLINE a copy of the new passport and a recent photo each time a new passport is issued up to 20 years of age and once after completing 50 years of age. The uploading of these documents may be done within three months of receipt of the new passport.​

Comment

Just to update for the benefit of other folks. My son travelled to India today with his new passport + old punched passport + OCI (with older passport details). No issues at immigration and no questions asked. His status on the website for update of the OCI is still pending. Thanks folks for responding and sharing your experience

Comment

Originally posted by rahul1980 View Post
                  Just to update for the benefit of other folks. My son travelled to India today with his new passport + old punched passport + OCI (with older passport details). No issues at immigration and no questions asked. His status on the website for update of the OCI is still pending. Thanks folks for responding and sharing your experience
                  Thanks for posting the update, will surely help folks with the same question in future.

Comment

Hello

I am a 45-year old resident of Mumbai, born here in Feb 1978 and raised here too.

By virtue of my late father being born in England, I have been the holder of a British Passport since ~1993. The last time I successfully renewed my British Passport was about two months back, in March 2023.

I switched from PIO to OCI in 2016 when I was ~38 years old. My OCI card currently carries the last Passport Number (issued in May 2013), and not the latest Passport Number (issued in March 2023).

Is it necessary for me to update my OCI with the new passport number? I am travelling abroad sometime next week and I request you to respond to this query as soon as possible.

Comment

Travel can sometimes come with unexpected situations. Although I am not an expert, updating the OCI system with new passport information is advisable. However, given the time constraints, it may be worth seeking advice from the embassy or appropriate authorities. They can give the best advice based on your particular situation. Recently, I encountered a similar problem and immediately contacted a lawyer so that I could go on vacation with my family to Si Como No Resort in peace. I wish you a safe trip and hope everything works well for you and your daughter!
                      Last edited by sionewscuadvi1971; 06-22-2023, 05:42 AM.

Comment

hello
                        my daughter is 18yrs old and has old passport number on her oci and my flight is the day after tomorrow. I have just updated her details on the misc servies. Would there be any problems with this when going to india.
                        shall i take her old passport as well with her

Comment

It is advised to update the new passport details within 3 months of receipt of the new passport. It is good to take the old passport when you have a doubt. You never know what the immigration officer will ask.

Comment

Any update? Could you please let me know if you were able to travel? I am also in the same boat. Just updated OCI with new passport (that we was issued 2 years back). The status is still not yet acknowledged. I need to travel next week.

Comment

Originally posted by nehajoshister View Post
                              Any update? Could you please let me know if you were able to travel? I am also in the same boat. Just updated OCI with new passport (that we was issued 2 years back). The status is still not yet acknowledged. I need to travel next week.
                              did u travel okay? Did you face any issues?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X