Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Obamacare for new immigrants. Household income?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• soare
    replied
    New immigrant, Obama care, household income

Hello, I have a similar question, maybe you can help me with the answer.

I am a new immigrant, a legal immigrant. I won a Green Card, that means, I didn't marry to get here, I have no sponsors, I do not work (yet), I don't study (yet). I am still deciding either to study or work, or both, and I want to work something good, well paid, because that's what I did before coming to USA. I know it sounds strange maybe, but I'm still adapting with everything and I'm really lucky I can easily do that.

Anyway, long story short, I applied for Obama Care, which I have it for 2 months now. Recently they asked me for my household income. And I don't know what to provide. As I mentioned before, I do not work but I'm living with my boyfriend, is his house. We are not married, today I'm with him, tomorrow we're not. It's his house, he's paying for everything. My question is, what should I give to Marketplace for this household income they're asking for? I don't have anything yet, it's just my savings from back home and my boyfriend who's working and paying for everything.

Thank you for your time and answer,
    Best regards,
    Cristina

Leave a comment:

• immihelp
    replied
    Your income is effectively considered their income. Therefore, you have to specify that.

People who have no income can NOT get any subsidy. People who higher than threshold also do not get any subsidy. It is the people in the middle who get varying amount of subsidy.

Leave a comment:

• Obamacare for new immigrants. Household income?

I am bringing my parents (who are 79 and 74 years old) to live with me and I am planning to buy them healthcare insurance through the ACA (Obama care). My parents will be living with me in my house in USA. The healthcare.gov website asks my parent's household income if they have to purchase a health insurance plan. My parents will not be earning/working and they will be living in my house for free. So what should be their "household income". Do I need to include mine and my wife's income as my parent's household income (we are the sponsors and signed the Affidavit of support)? or could I say, their household income as zero? which may qualify them for a lower premium? The intent here is to know, what is the legal? and what will be against the law? Also, if I am going to claim them as my dependent on my tax return, will I have any additional benefits? or filing for them separately will be financially beneficial? Last but not least, I am going the Obamacare route, as after considerable research, I have come to the conclusion that there are no other way to insure them effectively. If anyone of you know of a way around, please respond. Thank you!

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X