Insurance for L2 spouce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insurance for L2 spouce

Can somebody please help me with advice?

We arrived to the US in the mid May I am on L1 visa and my husband is on L2. My company provides me an employer based insurance, but they did not agree to include my husband into my insurance and I would have to pay monthly $668 which is more than 10% of my monthly income. He is pending EAD authorization and we don`t know how much more time will pass until he can start working and will get his own insurance.

I know that there will be a fine when I fill in my tax form if he is not insured for more than 3 months. Can you please advise for an affordable individual plan that will meet the minimum standards? Or is there a way to claim an obligatory insurance exemption so that we don`t have to pay a fine?

I have read through IRS guidance and I still could not understand where he qualifies.

Originally posted by insubuy
    Your best option is to include your husband in your employer based insurance even if you have to pay. That is normal that many companies don't pay for the dependents.
    Thank you for your reply. Is there any way where I can find a cheaper option, as 680$ is not affordable for our budget?
    He only needs insurance to avoid a tax fine. We are not going to use it to actually go to the doctor.

Or if we compare the fine, can please someone help me, is it true that the fine would be 2.5% of the yearly income? In this case it would probably be cheaper just to pay that fine.

Comment

Originally posted by insubuy
      As we don't deal with PPACA compliant plan, I would be unable to give you the advice. Anyway, the fine is related to the income tax. Therefore, kindly contact your CPA.

In any case, please note that insurance is not just to avoid the fine, but in case something unexpected happens, just accident or major sickness and the healthcare is very expensive in the US.
      Thank you, I will redirect this question to CPA.

I know that insurance is very important, and I am sure he will get his own insurance once he gets the EAD and starts working. But in this interim period of 3-5 months it is a great financial burden, that is why we wanted to find some cheapest options to live on this period.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X