Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medical for family based GC parents?

Hi All,

I am US citizen (thru naturalization) and planning to apply my parents family based GC.
    My question is about medical insurance to parents:

1) Once their GC approved, are they qulified for Medicare?
    2) Can I claim them as dependents on W2?
    3) Can I add parents to my employer sponser insurance?
    4) If they are not covered under Medicare, what are my options?

My father age is 75+ and diabetic and mother 65+. I really need the info on medical before proceeding to apply GC.

Please answer the above questions as information on the web is lot confusing.

Thx in advance

1. No.

Read https://www.insubuy.com/new-immigrant-insurance/-plans/

2. May be. The best thing would be to talk to your CPA.

3. No.

Read answer #1.

4. The plans available at https://www.insubuy.com/new-immigrant-insurance/
    Thanks & Regards
    Insubuy
    Toll Free: (866) INSUBUY
    Local: (972) 985-4400
    Fax: (972) 767-4470

Comment

Although you cannot get medicare etc. you can certainly claim them as your dependants.. see below

your 'additional' tax refund will easily adjust insurance premium..

I am supporting my aging parents. Can I claim them as dependents on my tax return?

You bet, even if they do not live with you for the entire year. But they must also pass the following IRS tests:

1. They are a relative;

2. They must be a citizen or resident of the U. S., Canada, or Mexico;

3. Their gross income (e.g., capital gains, self-employment income and other taxable income) must be less than $3,400 in 2007 ($3,500 in 2008). Gross income does not apply to the nontaxable social security benefits or retirement distributions.

4. A married parent can't file jointly unless the husband and wife have no libility when filing separately.

5. You must provide more than more than 50% of your parent's total financial support during the year. If you share that responsibility with others (i.e., your sister and your two brothers), you must provide more than 10% of your parent's total financial support to claim an exemption for your parents (in addition to meeting the other tests). To do so, you must also obtain IRS form 2120 from each sibling/supporter who provided more than 10% of the support and who has agreed not to take the dependency exemption on their own return.

Even if your parents do not quite qualify as your dependents, you might be able to still deduct medical expenses paid on their behalf. You have to pass all the above IRS guidelines, excluding the gross income.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X