Medicaid for Brazillian Mother-in-law

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medicaid for Brazillian Mother-in-law

Hello, my wife and I are U.S. citizens residing in NY. I’m looking for some direction regarding my 64 year-old Brazilian mother-in-law. My wife (her daughter) and myself sponsored her mother and father’s green card application in 2020. Both have since received their green card. Her father has since returned to Brazil, over a year ago, and am not sure if he will be returning We know that her mother is eligible for Medicaid but am not certain if my wife and I can be held financially responsible for her accrued Medicaid medical charges as we both were her sponsors in 2020. I’ve read that there is a difference between emergency Medicaid and non emergency Medicaid, but am not certain if New York is a state that attempts to recover funds from sponsors. Any help from someone would be more than appreciated. Thank you!

If your mother-in-law's income is low enough, she is eligible for regular Medicaid (not Emergency Medicaid) in New York state. See this, page 7. In the first 5 years, she is not eligible for federal Medicaid, so her regular Medicaid is paid solely by the state and local governments. As for I-864 obligations, it she uses "means-tested public benefits", the sponsor(s) can be asked for repayment. I-864 instructions says you need to look at I-864P for the definition of "means-tested public benefits". I-864P says federal means-tested public benefits include Medicaid, but I'm not sure whether the Medicaid during her first 5 years would count as it is not federal Medicaid. I-864P says each state determines which are its state means-tested public benefits, so it is unclear whether her Medicaid will count. I am not aware of any state suing sponsors.

Comment

Originally posted by NewyorkSponsorCouple View Post
      Hello, my wife and I are U.S. citizens residing in NY. I’m looking for some direction regarding my 64 year-old Brazilian mother-in-law. My wife (her daughter) and myself sponsored her mother and father’s green card application in 2020. Both have since received their green card. Her father has since returned to Brazil, over a year ago, and am not sure if he will be returning We know that her mother is eligible for Medicaid but am not certain if my wife and I can be held financially responsible for her accrued Medicaid medical charges as we both were her sponsors in 2020. I’ve read that there is a difference between emergency Medicaid and non emergency Medicaid, but am not certain if New York is a state that attempts to recover funds from sponsors. Any help from someone would be more than appreciated. Thank you!
      Were you able to figure this out? In same situation.

Comment

Hello vmsk0716, have you been able to obtain more information on the process for obtaining insurance for elderly parents and what is required? Thank you.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X