Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Issues in SSN due to lengthy last name

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Issues in SSN due to lengthy last name

    Hi -

    I am posting this as I was not able to find a similar case after reading through other threads in the site.
    I applied for an SSN on Jan 14 and still waiting for the card. This is how my name is in all my docs - passport, VISA, I20, I94:
    First name: A (7 characters)
    Last name: B C(28 characters including space)

    The folks at the SSA office accepted my application for SSN (due to name match in all docs i provided) but they couldn't instantly verify it online due to my lengthy last name. So I got a letter saying they need upto 4 weeks to verify my immigration status.

    Also, in the SSA database they were not able to fit my entire last name. So they split my last name and put a part of it as my middle name:
    First name: A (7 characters)
    Middle name: B (13 characters)
    Last name: C (14 characters)

    I am still waiting for DHS to verify my immigration status. It has been already 2 weeks.

    Now my doubts are:
    1) Will I be getting an SSN with First name A, middle name B and last name C? If so, will there be any issues later in getting a license as the name on I94 and SSN donot match?

    Been stressed out a lot lately because of this. Appreciate a response.

    Regards
    Vicky

  • #2
    There have to be SSA precedents for this kind of problem. I can't offer you a quick solution, other than to negotiate with the Social Security people, once the DHS verification has been don.e

    --Ray B
    Originally posted by vickybogs View Post
    Hi -

    I am posting this as I was not able to find a similar case after reading through other threads in the site.
    I applied for an SSN on Jan 14 and still waiting for the card. This is how my name is in all my docs - passport, VISA, I20, I94:
    First name: A (7 characters)
    Last name: B C(28 characters including space)

    The folks at the SSA office accepted my application for SSN (due to name match in all docs i provided) but they couldn't instantly verify it online due to my lengthy last name. So I got a letter saying they need upto 4 weeks to verify my immigration status.

    Also, in the SSA database they were not able to fit my entire last name. So they split my last name and put a part of it as my middle name:
    First name: A (7 characters)
    Middle name: B (13 characters)
    Last name: C (14 characters)

    I am still waiting for DHS to verify my immigration status. It has been already 2 weeks.

    Now my doubts are:
    1) Will I be getting an SSN with First name A, middle name B and last name C? If so, will there be any issues later in getting a license as the name on I94 and SSN donot match?

    Been stressed out a lot lately because of this. Appreciate a response.

    Regards
    Vicky

    Comment


    • #3
      Same issue

      Hi Vicky , i am facing the same issue. Please let me know if you have got the SSN and how many days did it took to come. VERY URGENT.

      Originally posted by vickybogs View Post
      Hi -

      I am posting this as I was not able to find a similar case after reading through other threads in the site.
      I applied for an SSN on Jan 14 and still waiting for the card. This is how my name is in all my docs - passport, VISA, I20, I94:
      First name: A (7 characters)
      Last name: B C(28 characters including space)

      The folks at the SSA office accepted my application for SSN (due to name match in all docs i provided) but they couldn't instantly verify it online due to my lengthy last name. So I got a letter saying they need upto 4 weeks to verify my immigration status.

      Also, in the SSA database they were not able to fit my entire last name. So they split my last name and put a part of it as my middle name:
      First name: A (7 characters)
      Middle name: B (13 characters)
      Last name: C (14 characters)

      I am still waiting for DHS to verify my immigration status. It has been already 2 weeks.

      Now my doubts are:
      1) Will I be getting an SSN with First name A, middle name B and last name C? If so, will there be any issues later in getting a license as the name on I94 and SSN donot match?

      Been stressed out a lot lately because of this. Appreciate a response.

      Regards
      Vicky

      Comment


      • #4
        Same issue - Please reply

        Hello,

        I am facing the similar issue. You would have got it resolved. Could you please help me out with this?

        Thanks

        Comment


        • #5
          Issues in SSN due to lengthy last name

          Hi Vicky,

          How did you resolve the issue with length last name in SSN. I am in similar situation today. Could you please let me know how to resolve this issue.


          Thank You,
          Jai

          Comment


          • #6
            Same issue

            Hey,

            How did you guys handle this problem? I just got a DL application denial due to mismatch between passport and SSN last name.

            Comment


            • #7
              Same issue

              hello all
              I am currently facing the same issue, Could you please update your situations and if the issue was resolved.

              regards

              Comment


              • #8
                Facing the issue with lengthy last name

                Hi,

                I have a lengthy last name or rather 3 last names A B C.

                My passport, Visa, I-94 all have it recorded this way. SSN office couldn't accommodate the lengthy name and are asking to go for a I-94 correction. Is that a good idea ? If so what are the ways.

                Can't we have the truncated last name in SSN, would that pose a problem ?

                Pls advise.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Ananth Srinivasan View Post
                  Hi,

                  I have a lengthy last name or rather 3 last names A B C.

                  My passport, Visa, I-94 all have it recorded this way. SSN office couldn't accommodate the lengthy name and are asking to go for a I-94 correction. Is that a good idea ? If so what are the ways.

                  Can't we have the truncated last name in SSN, would that pose a problem ?

                  Pls advise.

                  Hi Ananth,

                  Iam facing same issue in how many days you got SSN .please help me

                  Regards,
                  Keerthi .p

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Same problem: Last names are too long. :/

                    Hello! I just returned from the Social Security office in Cypress, TX, and I am in the same situation you described. When I got married, I kept my father's and my mother's last names (Llaverías Camilo) and combined them with "-Cuevas", my husband's. My Work Authorization card came yesterday with my whole name, but the rep at SSN office told me they cannot have it that way because of the limited number of characters they have on Last Name field, that is shorter than other agencies'. In that case, he told me my card will have "... Llaverias Camilo-Cuev" (missing two letters) and that it will cause me problems everywhere. Please, could someone tell me how to solve it and how long does it take? Thanks in advanced.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I have to express my strong opinion on your problem and the name issues in general. The SSA staff person was correct. If you continue trying to use a culturally-enhanced hyphenated name, which is basically a vanity affectation in this country, you will have problems. Open up your wallet and get a legal name change through your county court system, with your current first name (one node) a middle name of one node, and your husband's family name as your last name (one node).

                      --Ray B

                      Originally posted by VerouskaLlaverias View Post
                      Hello! I just returned from the Social Security office in Cypress, TX, and I am in the same situation you described. When I got married, I kept my father's and my mother's last names (Llaverías Camilo) and combined them with "-Cuevas", my husband's. My Work Authorization card came yesterday with my whole name, but the rep at SSN office told me they cannot have it that way because of the limited number of characters they have on Last Name field, that is shorter than other agencies'. In that case, he told me my card will have "... Llaverias Camilo-Cuev" (missing two letters) and that it will cause me problems everywhere. Please, could someone tell me how to solve it and how long does it take? Thanks in advanced.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        DL denied because of mismatch in name

                        Originally posted by Lucas de Aguiar View Post
                        Hey,

                        How did you guys handle this problem? I just got a DL application denial due to mismatch between passport and SSN last name.
                        I have the same issue , my last name is lengthy , so issued ssn by shorting my name. Now DMV is not issuing me license. Please advice me on this

                        - - - Updated - - -

                        Can someone update the solution on this issue

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I had faced similar issue, where last name doesn't fully fit into it. i think last name can hold 21 chars's max
                          i think there will are 2 FIELDS TO STORE THE NAME,

                          1) one field contains how name should be printed on ssn card ---> this can also more than 21 chars, so usually we can get the full/original name printed.
                          2) name that is stored or usually referred, this can hold upto 21 chars as per my observation. if more char's are in the last name then it will be put as '*' . (star) at the end of 21st char.

                          by default it prints the last name on card upto 21 char's, if the display name on the card field is not used. We can ask the SSA officer if we do not want the default (truncated) to be printed on card.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X