X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Incorporating Last name change in my US passport

Hello and Namaste!
    I am a US citizen, currently in India for a visit until Sep 7th
    My current name is Shanthi Muthu. I wish to change it to Shanthi Yogini, based on my profession. If I get it changed in Bangalore where I am currently residing, is it possible to incorporate this change in my US passport?

I have been corresponding with the American Citizens Service in Chennai. Below is their reply.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please be advised that Section 5 of the Foreigners Act prohibits a foreigner entering into India from changing his/her name or assume a different name without the permission of the Central Government. Accordingly, please contact the foreigner’s division in the Central Government for the name change and subsequently follow local practices in the area you are residing in India.

One suggestion is to change your name in the PIO or OCI card and based on which we can change your name in the passport for which you need to contact the Ministry of External affairs of India.

We encourage you to get in touch with a lawyer or the Indian Immigration office as an OCI is a Indian Government document.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

American citizens services, Chennai, insists that I find a way to get permission from central government for name change.

Please let me how to get permission from Central Government for name change. Chennai office is not able to guide me in this.

Do you know of any lawyer who knows how to implement section 5 of foreigner's act?

Are you aware of any way to get name changed in OCI card? I went to FRRO office and they told me that OCI is issued based on foreign passport, and they cannot give a name that is not in the passport.

I cannot change my name in the US due to lack of proper documents that they want.

Please guide me...

I am leaving Bangalore on Sep 7th, 2015 and I need to get everything done before that.

Thank you so much....
    Shanthi

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X