Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How soon can the GC process start after H1

Hi,
    I was wondering how soon the GC application can be started once a H1 visa has been issued?
    My employer says they are wiling to sort out a work visa for me to move across from our UK office to the US office, but I would like to get permanant work permit/residency if possible and wondered how soon after getting a work visa I could ask them to apply for me to get a GC?

I plan to sell up and will lose a few benefits when transferring so I feel that I would be better off if I had the freedom to work for a longer period of time rather than the standard 3 or 6yrs that is permitted on the work visa...

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Regards
    DJ

One thing I forgot to ask was how realistic would it be for me to expect approval of a Green Card? I am in the IT field with 10yrs experience and have been working for an Oil & Gas Co. for 7 of those years continuously.

Thanks

Comment

How soon one can apply for GC after H1-B?

Originally posted by djman
      One thing I forgot to ask was how realistic would it be for me to expect approval of a Green Card? I am in the IT field with 10yrs experience and have been working for an Oil & Gas Co. for 7 of those years continuously.

Thanks
      I am not a lawyer and but I have been undergoing the same thing like u, djman. My company has agreed to file H1-B after completion of 90 days/ 3months from the date of my joining the job with them, since they are going to be the sponsors. I understand that 90days/ 3 months is minimum legal requirement. I entered US in 2nd week of May 2005, I joined the job on 05/16/2005. My employer has assured to commence the GC process (labour certification) after 08/15/2005. I also understood that it would take 2 to 3 years to get the GC.

Comment

When i arrived in US with my last employer they started the process in 6 months....and all my friends who applyed just got their GC in 5 yrs flat.
        I applied late but got it in 3 1/2 yrs for some reason

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X