Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Indian passport expires in sep2011,is it safe to travel before tht?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian passport expires in sep2011,is it safe to travel before tht?

Hi all,

My Indian Passport expires on 18th sep 2011, i have a valid US Visa(H4 , that expires in Aug 2012).
    I plan to visit india during the period May 2011 to June 2011.
    is it safe to travel without getting the passport renewed ?
    is there such a rule that passport should be valid for 6 months to travel in and out of India or at the time entering USA ?

I am afraid to send the passport for renewal as my travel dates are too close.

Please suggest what would be the best thing to do..
    Thanks

Indian passport holders are not required to have 6 month validity. But, on return your I-94 will expire with the passport and you will need to immediately renew the passport and apply for extension. So leave at least 2 months between passport expiry and date of return to the US.
    This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

It takes 20-25 days to get the passport renewed in U.S. It is fast compared to India. It is advisable that you renew it before you leave the country. Alternatively, you can opt for Tatkal passport renewal when you are in India.
      Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Hi,

Same is the case for my daughter and we also planned for US too. For any international traveling on residence visa, your passport must have a validity for minimum 6 months. In case you travel, Immigration in India or destination country can stop you.

It is better to get your passport renewal under Tatkal Scheme which is a home delivery in less than a week's time

Comment

India exempt from 6 month passport validity

India is exempted from 6 month passport validity rule (atleast while travelling on B1/B2, not sure of others)

Refer this - http://www.immihelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98724

Comment

India exempt from 6 month passport validity

Its no issues going to India, but as Shervin pointed out, if you dont renew it before leaving, when you come back to US (before sep 2012) you would be given I-94 valid only till Sep 2012 and would have to apply for extension as soon as you come back, if for some reason extension gets denied you would have to go back outside US again. Its a long and laborious process getting passports renewed in India sometimes stretching into Months. Better go to an Indian consulate in US while in US and get the new passport same day under tatkal in US itself rather then goign through future hassles. This is my personal opinion.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X