Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surrender Certificate Requirements: missing expired Passport

Hi Guys,

I would like to apply for OCI. However SF consulate website states that I need to surrender my Indian Passport & obtain SURRENDER CERTIFICATE.

Here is my problem:

I do not have my expired Indian Passport.

From what I can recall, the consulate took it away from me when i got my US passport, or I lost it. I cant recall as it was more than 10 years ago.

Am I screwed I think I am.

Technically surrender certificate is free as Indian passport expired before January 1, 2005. (according to this article)

<<http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/NRI-group-objects-to-new-Indian-rule-on-passport-surrender/articleshow/5945132.cms>>

Does anybody know the what I need to do in order to get the surrender certificate.

How do I get a Surrender Certificate, if I am missing the my expired Indian Passport ?

thanks in advance

-Chiraag
    Last edited by djraag; 06-21-2010, 06:17 PM. Reason: clarity of question

Hello,

There is a process to follow, i fyou lost the Indian passport. you can fidn the details at:

https:///new-passport-in-lieu-of-los...tizens-in-usa/

Comment

Passport Details

I talked to USCIS department. According to them you can submit G-639 FOIA form (Freedom for information act). They should be able to locate and send the Indian passport information which was filled in US citizenship application.

Good Luck.

Comment

Surrender Certificate Requirements: missing expired Passport

Thank Your "sooner88" for your help.

Thank You "kiritcdesai" for your insight. I will go ahead with what you suggested.

Thanks both again for replying to my post.

Comment

surrender certificate for lost indian passport

We have sent FOIA request to get a copy of Indian passport and other crap the Indian consulate requires.

Looks like it will take forever-- at least 6 months for requesting "all records"

Comment

update on lost indian passport/renunciation of indian citizenship

1.Via FOIA, We got a CD with PDF file (all records were requested)
            2. The PDF file does not have the copy of IMPORTANT old Indian passport. These pages were blank and were referred to US State Department. So far no reply from them.
            3. Luckily, in this PDF, there was copy of a page with old Indian police clearance certificate and it had the Lost Indian passport number & issue date & place .

4. We used this information along with police report to apply for Renunciation/Surrender Certificate.

5. It was accepted by the Indian consulate. (Sent in 1st week of Oct. Received received the Renunciation Certificate in 1st week of Nov)

---------
            It's been 2 months and we have not heard from the State Department for that copy of old Indian Passport.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X