X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trivial Question: Internet Investments

This would be a very trivial question.

I'm in the US on a F-1 visa.

I've invested money in internet domain names, which are essentially contracts to use/buy/sell/lease an internet web address for a specified period of time. I actively buy/sell these domain names, but earn NO regular income from them. I make a profit only when someone buys my domain name.

Is this kind of investment allowed to a F-1 visa holder? The thing with internet domain names is that I can own them from ANYWHERE in the world. Thus, they are 'global' property in a way, and does not belong to any particular place. Since they are 'contracts', they don't 'belong' to anyone either.

I know I should be consulting a proper immigration attorney in this case, but any help here would be appreciated.

you can do it legally.

As far as you are not working for somebody and getting pay checks or no pay checks.

Originally posted by puranjay
    This would be a very trivial question.

I'm in the US on a F-1 visa.

I've invested money in internet domain names, which are essentially contracts to use/buy/sell/lease an internet web address for a specified period of time. I actively buy/sell these domain names, but earn NO regular income from them. I make a profit only when someone buys my domain name.

Is this kind of investment allowed to a F-1 visa holder? The thing with internet domain names is that I can own them from ANYWHERE in the world. Thus, they are 'global' property in a way, and does not belong to any particular place. Since they are 'contracts', they don't 'belong' to anyone either.

I know I should be consulting a proper immigration attorney in this case, but any help here would be appreciated.

Comment

However, if someone is going to send you 1099 for the income generated, you are in trouble.
      Immihelp Support
      No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Comment

Thanks
        I looked up the 1099 form. I don't believe any of my work has anything to do with individual contractors. I merely buy and sell names, from the owners themselves, so it is, in a way, merely the buying and selling of individual goods, except that the value of the goods is quite large (though the volume is very small)

Comment

Talk to your CPA

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X