Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travel while OPT application is pending

Hi Everyone,
    I am little confused that I applied for OPT in first week of December 2017 and got the receipt I767 form. I have to travel back to my home country for some urgent work for 3 weeks, In USA, I have put my cousin brother's address so REF can be taken care of. Given these, can anybody explain what are the risks of travelling while OPT is pending? Can anyone share his experience?
    I read on this website https://www.ice.gov/sevis/travel,they say to only travel with caution nothing more but I want to know what exactly are the risks?

Thanks in advance

can anyone please help?
    Originally posted by jaildar View Post
    Hi Everyone,
    I am little confused that I applied for OPT in first week of December 2017 and got the receipt I767 form. I have to travel back to my home country for some urgent work for 3 weeks, In USA, I have put my cousin brother's address so REF can be taken care of. Given these, can anybody explain what are the risks of travelling while OPT is pending? Can anyone share his experience?
    I read on this website https://www.ice.gov/sevis/travel,they say to only travel with caution nothing more but I want to know what exactly are the risks?

Thanks in advance

Comment

Originally posted by jaildar View Post
      can anyone please help?
      As long as you are maintaining your F1 status and have your I20 valid, and have an unexpired F1 visa stamp in your passport you can travel (in others no different from travel during normal F1 status). Remember OPT is in someways an extension of F1.
      Just an opinion; Not legal advice.

Comment

Thank you

Hi , Thank you for input but I want to know if anyone traveled while F1-OPT application was pending as my school DSO said that USICS may deny your application citing abandon as the reason which got me confused since I was not able to find any such case. Can anyone share more light on it please?
        Originally posted by scientist2016 View Post
        As long as you are maintaining your F1 status and have your I20 valid, and have an unexpired F1 visa stamp in your passport you can travel (in others no different from travel during normal F1 status). Remember OPT is in someways an extension of F1.

Comment

Update

Hi there? Did you finally go back? I am in the same scenario. I would like to return, my application is still in process, and I don't anticipate getting my EAD card till June.

Comment

Yes my friends were able to come back to states without any issues while OPT was pending.

Comment

What did you say to the CPB officer when he asked what the purpose of your trip is or why you are coming back?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X