Can I travel to India while on OPT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I travel to India while on OPT?

I completed my MS and I'm in OPT now. My H1B is issued, but I think the stamping is only done in Oct 08. My question here is can I travel to India while on OPT? I have my brother's marriage in august. so I wanted to go to India. So explain me about the consequences if I travel in OPT.

Thanks in advance.

Charan Surisetty.

Are you working? Ask your ISO.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

I am not working currently. I joined in a consultancy and I'm still in the training period.

Comment

Many schools suggest not to travel while pending and after approval, to travel only with an offer letter and endorsement from the school. Check with your school.

Isn't training part of work? That is how it is with many employers and people get paid to get trained.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

OPT has been approved, correct?

If so, you can travel and re-enter with a valid visa, endorsed I-20, offer letter to resume/accept employment.

If your H1 is approved before you leave, your status will change to H1 on Oct 1st despite travel.
          Check out H1 FAQs first!
          http://www.immihelp.com/visas/h1b/h1-visa-faq.html

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X