• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OPT to H1B

Hi,
    I have a question for everyone and will be glad if someone can clarify
    Consider the following situation:

I am employed on OPT with a legitimate employer who is Everified,
    I also have another employer XX who is going to file for my H1 visa this fiscal year.
    I am under no legal obligation to work for the employer XX at this point of time.

my question:
    If i have got the approval for H1B on the first of Oct 2009
    DO I HAVE TO JOIN HIM(XX) or can i choose not to join and forgo my lottery selection for this year and continue working with my employer on OPT??

Bounce!!!

Comment

If H1b was approved as a COS, you are no longer in F1 status past Oct 1st and OPT is invalid. Any employment on OPT is unauthorized employment after a H1b COS and will cause serious immigration consequences.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

OPT to H1

Hi,

I would like to know answers for following questions. I am on OPT from December 2008 and get over in November 2008. I am working in a project since January 2008 which will get over in November 2008. Also i come under STEM OPT extension thing too?

Q1. My company is applying H1 this April 2009 is it a good thing to do so since i will be out of job from Novemeber 2008 and chance of getting job in this market is tough so should i apply for H1 this year or stay on my OPT and get an extension?

Q2. If I go on OPT extension do I have to show the payroll in the extension period too. What is the criteria for getting OPT extension and maintaining the extension?

Q3. If I applied for H1 and got it then can I transfer to F1 again to maintain status in US. If yes what is the procedure for it?

Q4. After apply for H1 by the company A this april 2009 and if I get a better job opportunity in company B in August 2009 then can I work in company B eventhough my H1 is applied with Company A?

Q5. After applying H1 when does my OPT status get changed to H1?

Please help I am in big confusion. I would like to thanks in advance.

Karan Singh

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X