Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opt

Hi

As I am starting my OPT from jun 12th 2009 to jun 12th 2010. If my employer applied for H1B visa by April 1st 2010 and if approved. what will be my status from jun to oct 1st.
    As I'm doing job search now. one of my employer said he can sponsor (only by paper work) but I have to bear expenses. should i accept this offer or wait for an employer who can do all work for me.

thanks in regards
    waiting for Reply

Gokul

You status is and will be F1 till Sep 30.

You have an employer, he has a job for you. You should not pay the employer for filing H1, it is illegal.
    This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

Thanks for reply
      if my status is F1 can i work until sep 30 under opt. because my grad program is not under stem. so opt is only 12 months. or do i have to leave us and return after before oct 1 st.

thanks
      Gokul.

Comment

Depends on how the H1 petition was filed. If it was filed as automatic change of status and the approval notice also had an I-94 attached to it, then your status will automatically be H1 from October 1 and the OPT will end. Whenever after that you travel out and want to return, you will need to get an H1 visa.
        If automatic COS was not filed, you can continue on your OPT till it ends and leave the country. Obtain an H1 visa and enter using the same petition approval notice, assuming the employer still has that job for you.
        This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by gjadhav1 View Post
          Hi

As I am starting my OPT from jun 12th 2009 to jun 12th 2010. If my employer applied for H1B visa by April 1st 2010 and if approved. what will be my status from jun to oct 1st.
          As I'm doing job search now. one of my employer said he can sponsor (only by paper work) but I have to bear expenses. should i accept this offer or wait for an employer who can do all work for me.

thanks in regards
          waiting for Reply

Gokul
          You have 60 days grace period after June 12th 2010 which means you are on F1 status during this grace period till August 30th 2010 and not Sept 30th 2010.
          Do not pay a single penny for your H1. It is illegal.
          Note that this is not a legal advice. Consult your immigration attorney for the best upto-date information.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X