Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delay in getting OPT card

Dear friends,

I graduated onAug 5, 2010 and applied for OPT on 27th Aug, 2010. I put the start date as Sep 20, 2010 so as to take advantage of 60 days for getting a job. But I had done a mistake, I sent a bank check which did not have sufficient amount of money, I had to send check of my current accnt and i sent savings one instead.

So I got a notice from USCIS on Sept 15th by mail, that they have suspended processing my application. So imm, I called them and realized my mistake and paid the amount on Sept 16th, 2010.

Next I get a mail dated sep 30, 2010 in mid-october, that they have resumes processing my application as they got the fee.

Now, I had 2 Qs:

1. What is the 90-day grace period they allow that we shud have job by that ddeadline? When wud it start, wud it start by Dec 20?

2. What if I dont get my OPT card by dec 20th? Wud i be out of status?

I am really confused and have been talking to my univ's international office but he is asking me to wait for OPT card

Don't worry

As long as you applied for OPT, you are safe. The 90-day unemployment rule starts counting "after" your card is issued. Even if the application process takes more than 90 days, it's fine.

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks for teply Abies, I was relieved to hear this and had earlier got the same reply from the director of immigration services of our school!

Now I am back to job hunt peacefully..

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X