Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto insurance to drive in the US?

Hello everyone,

I am on a visitors visa and my business requires me to travel for an hour a day from one city to another in the US. I am thinking of driving my Brother-in-law's car which is insured in his name and i hold a valid driver's license from India and a valid International Driver's Permit.

My query is whether my BIL must add me on his insurance? Cause when he contacted his agent, he was told that as long as i have his permission to use the car, i can drive his car. Apart from a medical insurance i do not hold any other insurance in the US. Since not having "insurance to drive" is an offense in the US, I wanted to be sure and wanted to know if it is okay for me to drive without an auto insurance.

Thanks in advance.

You need insurance. That agent has to add you as a 'driver' on your BIL's car. Or you could call up insurance companies and talk to them about non-driver's insurance, which basically means that you have a valid license but do not own a car.

Comment

It's great that you're being cautious about adhering to U.S. laws while driving. Generally, in the U.S. cover the vehicle, not just the individual driver. This means if you have your brother-in-law's permission to drive his car, and you hold a valid driver's license from your home country along with an International Driver's Permit, you should be covered under his insurance policy for occasional use. However, it's important to note that insurance policies can vary, and some may require that all regular drivers of the vehicle be listed on the policy. Since you mentioned traveling regularly for business, it might be wise for your brother-in-law to double-check his policy details or consider adding you as an occasional driver to avoid any potential issues. Also, ensure you're familiar with local driving laws and carry all necessary documentation while driving.
      Last edited by abigail232; 02-22-2024, 09:15 AM.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X