Us citizen certificate of naturalization travel with a foreign passport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Us citizen certificate of naturalization travel with a foreign passport

Hi, I am a Green Card holder but applied for my citizenship and finally got an interview date of 01/08/2021. I was wondering if all goes well and I pass and take my Oath Ceremony the same day(apparently possible in some cases due to Covid), can I travel with my foreign passport along with my Certificate of Naturalization? Planning on traveling In March and I am aware that I can expedite a US passport. Of course a lot of things have to fall into place because if I'm scheduled oath taking at a later date, clearly I wont be able to travel.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE

The law says that it is unlawful for a US citizen to enter or leave the US without bearing a US passport. However, there is no penalty for violating this law. If you make it to a US port of entry, they cannot deny you entry if you have proof of your US citizenship (which you have with the Certificate of Naturalization and a passport as ID). They may give you a scolding and may detain you for a bit while they verify your citizenship. In practice, the biggest hurdle is that, if you are traveling by air, the airline won't let you board because you don't have one of the documents acceptable for travel to the US (and a Certificate of Naturalization isn't one of them). If you have enough time in the foreign country to apply for a US passport there, or if you can make it to Canada and cross by land, that won't be a problem.

In addition to expedited service for US passports, it is also possible to go directly to a passport agency to apply if it is very urgent. See here.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X