UK - Direct Airside Transit Visa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK - Direct Airside Transit Visa

I have a valid F1 visa stamping on my passport. I am currently working and I have got my H1B approval notice. I am going to India to get my visa stamped. I am traveling by British Airways. I have a small stop over at London Heathrow and have to take a connecting flight to India from there. I don't have to change airlines or airport. I would like to know if I have to get the Direct Airside transit visa. Any suggestion is appreciated.

No. You don't need a visa.

Am I exempt from the DATV requirement?
    You will be exempt from the DATV requirement and may be able to transit without visa if you hold one of the following.

A valid visa for entry to Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the United States of America and a valid airline ticket for travel through the UK as part of a journey from another country or territory to the country for which you have the entry visa.
    A valid visa for entry to Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the United States of America and a valid airline ticket for travel through the UK as part of a journey from the country for which you have the visa to another country or territory.
    A valid airline ticket for travel through the UK as part of a journey from Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the United States of America to another country or territory, as long as you do not transit (pass through) the UK on a date more than six months after the date on which you last entered Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the United States of America with a valid visa for that country.
    A valid USA I-551 permanent resident card issued on or after 21 April 1998.
    A valid Canadian permanent resident card issued on or after 28 June 2002.
    A valid common format category D visa for entry to an EEA state – see our 'EEA and Swiss nationals' leaflet for a list of EEA states.
    A valid common format residence permit issued by an EEA state under Council Regulation (EC) number 1030/2002.
    A diplomatic or service passport issued by the People’s Republic of China.
    A diplomatic or official passport issued by India.
    A diplomatic or official passport issued by Vietnam.
    Notes on DATV exemptions

A valid US immigrant visa packet (form 155A/155B) is a 'valid visa' for DATV exemption.
    If you have an expired I-551 permanent resident card issued on or after 21 April 1998 with an I-797 extension letter issued by the Bureau of Citizenship, you do not need a DATV.
    If you have either:
    an I-512 parole letter or an I-797C (notice of action) instead of a valid US visa; or
    a transportation letter instead of a valid US permanent resident card issued on or after 21 April 1998;
    you are not exempt and need a DATV.
    If you hold a valid travel document with a US ‘ADIT’ stamp saying – 'Processed for I-551. TEMPORARY EVIDENCE OF LAWFUL ADMISSION FOR PERMANENT RESIDENCE VALID UNTIL [date]. EMPLOYMENT AUTHORIZED', you are not exempt and need a DATV.
    If you hold either an I-512 Parole letter or an I-797C (Notice of Action) instead of a valid US visa, or a Transportation Letter instead of a valid US Permanent Residence Card issued on or after 21 April 1998, or a US visa foil endorsed, "NOT A VISA. FOIL PREPARED AT DHS REQUEST", you will not qualify for exemption and will need a DATV.
    Whether holders of non-national (including refugee) travel documents require a DATV depends on their nationality and whether they qualify for one of the exemptions listed above. So, for instance, the holder of a non-national travel document (such as a refugee travel document) who is a national or a citizen of one of the countries listed on the DATV list (for example, Afghanistan) will need a direct airside transit visa (DATV) if they are travelling to the UK in transit to a third country.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Thanks for your reply. I would like to provide more information to what I mentioned earlier. My F1 visa expiry date is August 2011, however I was working in OPT after graduation and my OPT expired on 1st of January, 2009. My I20 also expired and I am not a student anymore. Do you still think that, I don't have to get a UK DATV when I transit UK. Your help is highly appreciated.
      Last edited by annapoorna123; 01-27-2009, 10:26 PM.

Comment

Your visa is all that matters. What status you hold in US is immaterial. As a matter of fact, one does NOT hold a status the moment a person leaves US soil.

For a country other than US, the unexpired visa is what they look for. For all you know, one could choose to return back on F1 if they wish to and they have a valid I120.

Read the requirements to the word in my post. Is there any mention of status? No because it does not have a meaning once you return the I-94 and leave US.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Perfect!!! Thank You...

Comment

UK Direct airside transit visa

Hi,

I'm an Indian passport holder residing in Bahrain. I will be travelling to Canada on 30th Jan for my PR purpose and my immigration visa is valid till 11th Feb and will be returning back on 11th Feb to Bahrain in 2 weeks time but without PR card as it will take minimum 4-5 weeks to receive. As I have a halt in London Heathrow while going and coming back will I require DATV. I would appreciate if I get answer asap. Or is it ok to show the PR receipt paper while coming back..

Thanks

Carroll

Comment

Please let me know if I need a transit visa for the following.
              I have a valid US Visitor Visa.
              I am planning to book the following route Dubai (DXB) - LAX layover in LHR (London, Heathrow)
              Do I need a transit or DATV visa or am I exempt?

I will be returning to Dubai within 6 months and the return flight also has a layover in Heathrow. Will I not have any problems?

Please let me know.

THank you

Comment

Uk datv

I am in the exact same situation as you were.

I have expiration date on my F1 as July2012. My OPT and i20 has expired. I have a I-797 and am going to India for stamping.

Did they ask you for the transit visa during travel or is it fine if you have a valid F1 (which does not expire for the duration of your travel) but are going to home country for H1B stamping?

Would really appreciate if you could answer me.

Thanking you very much.

H Gajanan

Comment

DATV required?

Hi there

My daughter will be travelling from Cape Town to New York via Heathrow. She will be travelling on United Airlines for the whole trip. Arriving at Heatrow she will have to transfer immediately onto her New York flight, but when she returns in January (also on United Airlines) she will spend around 10 hours at Heathrow waiting for her next flight to Cape Town.

She has a (red colored) Type B1/B2 USA visa (valid for 10 years). Does she require any other transit visa, or will she be allowed to continue her journey with what she has?

Thanks for your help

Colin

Comment

about visa requirement when passing through london

hi,im currently in us holding j1 visa valid till 31st may.im indian citizen.im traveling to india on 25th may and having connecting flight from london heathrow and have halt of around 11hrs from second flight.so do i need a visa for that.if yes then which visa do i need?
                    Passengers exempt from the DATV requirement
                    Holders of certain documents are, regardless of nationality, exempt from the requirement to hold a Direct Airside Transit Visa when transiting the UK.
                    -A transit passenger is not required to hold a transit visa if he holds, or a person with whom he arrives in the United Kingdom holds on his behalf:
                    -a valid visa for entry to Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the United States of America and a valid airline ticket for travel via the United Kingdom as part of a journey from another country or territory to the country for which the visa is held;
                    -a valid visa for entry to Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the United States of America and a valid airline ticket for travel via the United Kingdom as part of a journey from the country for which the visa is held to another country or territory;
                    -a valid airline ticket for travel via the United Kingdom as part of a journey from Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the United States of America to another country or territory, provided that the transit passenger does not seek to transit the United Kingdom on a date more than six months from the date on which they last entered Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the United States of America with a valid visa for entry to that country;
                    -a valid USA I-551 Permanent Resident Card issued on or after 21st April 1998;
                    -a valid Canadian Permanent Resident Card issued on or after 28th June 2002;
                    -a valid common format Category D visa for entry to an EEA State;
                    -a valid common format residence permit issued by an EEA State pursuant to Council Regulation (EC) No. 1030/2002;
                    -a diplomatic or service passport issued by the People’s Republic of China; or
                    -a diplomatic or official passport issued by India; or
                    -a diplomatic or official passport issued by Vietnam.

Thank you.

Comment

thanks brother for this information

Comment

UK Transit Visa

Hi,

I am traveling to india from US via UK on 1-Dec-12 since my transit will happen in UK do i need a UK transit visa???

My h1b visa is getting expired on Aug-12 but applied for extension, hopefully i will get approved petition by that time.

I have a valid UK tier2 visa do i need a transit visa in this case.

Appreciate your response.

Thanks
                        Rakesh

Comment

Regarding Transit Visa.

Hi ,
                          I am flying to canada via London. I have to stay in London for 22.5 Hrs for my flight to Edmonton.It will be overnight halt so I am kinda worried whether I hav 2 apply for transit Visa.
                          This is the Uk border site which clearly says that I can transit .

'Transit without visa' concession - DATV exemptions
                          If you are a national of a country covered by the DATV system, you may
                          be able to transit the UK airside without a visa. To qualify for this
                          exemption:

1)you must arrive and depart by air; and
                          2)your onward flight must be confirmed, and must depart within 24 hours; and
                          3)you have proper documentation for your destination, including a visa
                          if necessary.
                          Additionally, you must hold:

1) a valid entry visa for Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the USA,
                          and a valid airline ticket for travel via the UK, as part of a journey
                          to or from one of those countries; or
                          2) a valid airline ticket for travel via the UK as part of a journey
                          from Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the USA, if you are transiting
                          the UK no more than 6 months after the date when you last entered
                          Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the USA with a valid entry visa for
                          that country; or
                          3) a valid USA I-551 permanent resident card issued on or after 21
                          April 1998; or
                          4) an expired I-551 permanent resident card issued on or after 21
                          April 1998, accompanied by an I-797 extension letter issued by the
                          Bureau of Citizenship; or
                          5) a valid Canadian permanent resident card issued on or after 28 June 2002; or
                          6) a valid Australian or New Zealand residence visa; or
                          7) a valid uniform format category D visa for entry to a state in the
                          European Economic Area (EEA); or
                          8) a valid uniform format residence permit issued by an EEA state
                          under Council Regulation (EC) number 1030/2002; or
                          9) a valid UK residence card; or
                          10) a valid EEA family permit issued by the UK government; or
                          11) a diplomatic or service passport issued by the People's Republic
                          of China; or
                          12) a diplomatic or official passport issued by India; or
                          13) a diplomatic or official passport issued by Vietnam.

A valid US immigrant visa packet (form 155A/155B) is a 'valid visa'
                          for these purposes, but the following documents are not valid for the
                          DATV exemption:

Comment

Enqueiry regarding visit visa

Hi there
                            I am an Indian citizen working in Kuwait on a valid work residence. In dec 2012, I plan on visiting family in Toronto, Canada for approximately a month give or take. I will be traveling alone. While heading to Canada, via British Airways I have just 1-2 hours transit time so I can easily pass my time at the airport. On my return trip from Canada to Kuwait, I have about 16 hours transit time at London Heathrow airport. I would like to check-in to a nearby hotel or if there is an airport hotel, check into that hotel itself and just relax until my departure time. According to what I am reading on the Direct Airside Transit Visa, I think I would be exempted from applying for the visa since I am returning from Canada and my transit time is less than 24 hours. Can anyone confirm this? What documents would I need to submit at the immigration counter?
                            Please guide me on what I should do when I arrive at Heathrow. I am a first time traveler to Canada / London, so not familiar with anything that side. Thanks in advance

Comment

UK DATV required with a stop in Europe for a week?

Hi,
                              I am a citizen of India and I have a valid US F-1 visa till 2014. I am flying to
                              India from US with a 1 week stop in France. I have a connecting flight
                              in Heathrow airport in both cases. So my itinerary looks like:

Miami - London - Toulouse
                              Stop for 7 days in France.
                              Toulouse - London - Mumbai

I have a valid Schengen short visit tourist visa but do I have to get
                              a Direct Airside Transit Visa for the 2nd flight because I'm not
                              flying to/from USA? Also, can I say the officials that since my original leaving airport
                              is Miami, US and my final destination in the ticket is Mumbai with 1
                              week layover in France I don't need a transit visa for the 2nd flight
                              i.e. from Toulouse to Mumbai via London.

Help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X