UK VISA or CITIZENSHIP from parent born in British colony

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK VISA or CITIZENSHIP from parent born in British colony

Was born March 1983 outside Trinidad. My mother born in 1961 was born in Trinidad which at the time was British Colony but became a Canadian citizen. My grandfather was British colony born also and my great grandparent was born in UK. It's very hard looking on this issue and was looking for any help possible or just yes/no possibilities. Thanks in advance.

Your mother was born a CUKC (Citizen of the UK and Colonies), but most likely lost that status when Trinidad and Tobago became independent in 1962 (unless somehow she had a connection to the UK or another colony). So I don't think she had any British nationality when you were born.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by newacct View Post
      Your mother was born a CUKC (Citizen of the UK and Colonies), but most likely lost that status when Trinidad and Tobago became independent in 1962 (unless somehow she had a connection to the UK or another colony). So I don't think she had any British nationality when you were born.
      I will need to ask mother more questions but I remember being told about her family renouncing Trinidad citizenship when it happened. Her father was born in British Guinea now Guyana. None of that would matter?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X