Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Syrian Student Filing for Asylum in the U.S.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Syrian Student Filing for Asylum in the U.S.

Dear Ladies\Gentlemen,

I'm a Syrian grad student, I came to the U.S (9 months ago) on F1 Visa last August 2013...I wasn't eligible for TPS as it was designated a month earlier than the date of my entry to the U.S.
    My F1 Visa will expire after graduation on December 2014 and I will have to leave the country.
    My friends told me to file for asylum as they said that I'm eligible as a Syrian.
    I will be filing asylum because I fear persecution due to (
    Religion (I come from Assyrian\Orthodox Christian family,(Oppressed Struggling Minority)
    Membership in a particular social group (I'm a homosexual person in a country where homosexuality is a 3 Years to life\death sentence penalty crime)
    Political opinion
    )
    Since we live in a Christian majority neighborhood (Next to a church) we've been targeted by the Islamist terrorists groups multiple times by suicidal bombing vehicle, fortunately I'm still alive but our car and our house got heavily damaged (I have photos to prove,scars on my both hands from the broken windows, Video footage from the Terrorists YouTube channel where it shows the bombing and them celebrating that, and many other proofs).
    My family moved to another area now in the mountains to hide in the Christian small town of Kessab...but unfortunately the terrorists entered that town lately and killed many...
    The Department of State always condemned all the violence activities against Syrian Christians in many press releases.
    There's also too many other experiences and things to tell that I didn't mention here.
    My basic fears of prosecution is not related to the generalized violence in Syria, and it's specifically affect me in person.

So my questions are:

1- Should I apply for the asylum?
    2- I barely can pay my school tuition and I don't think I'll be able to hire or consult an immigration attorney, is that ok?
    3- Will that affect the chances of my family (parents+siblings) of getting a U.S visitor Visa in the future?
    4- Is there anyway I can bring my parents and siblings to the states?
    5- Will that affect my valid F1 Visa?
    6- If I got a denial, will that stop me from applying to H1B visa in the future?

I greatly appreciate your help.
    Thanks in advance.

1- It sounds like you might have a case, but you would need to apply before August 2014.
    2- It's ok if you do your homework. But you might be able to get help at little to no cost if you can find a public interest attorney (for example, Catholic Charities). You can send me an email if you'd like (because I would hate to ask you more identifying details in a public space).
    3- In theory, no, it should not. But, in practice, U.S. consulates have arbitrary and absolute powers to grant or deny visas for almost any reason.
    4- If you get asylum, yes (through the U.S. Refugee Admissions Program).
    5- It could, but not necessarily.
    6- No.

Good luck!

Originally posted by SyrianStudent View Post
    Dear Ladies\Gentlemen,

I'm a Syrian grad student, I came to the U.S (9 months ago) on F1 Visa last August 2013...I wasn't eligible for TPS as it was designated a month earlier than the date of my entry to the U.S.
    My F1 Visa will expire after graduation on December 2014 and I will have to leave the country.
    My friends told me to file for asylum as they said that I'm eligible as a Syrian.
    I will be filing asylum because I fear persecution due to (
    Religion (I come from Assyrian\Orthodox Christian family,(Oppressed Struggling Minority)
    Membership in a particular social group (I'm a homosexual person in a country where homosexuality is a 3 Years to life\death sentence penalty crime)
    Political opinion
    )
    Since we live in a Christian majority neighborhood (Next to a church) we've been targeted by the Islamist terrorists groups multiple times by suicidal bombing vehicle, fortunately I'm still alive but our car and our house got heavily damaged (I have photos to prove,scars on my both hands from the broken windows, Video footage from the Terrorists YouTube channel where it shows the bombing and them celebrating that, and many other proofs).
    My family moved to another area now in the mountains to hide in the Christian small town of Kessab...but unfortunately the terrorists entered that town lately and killed many...
    The Department of State always condemned all the violence activities against Syrian Christians in many press releases.
    There's also too many other experiences and things to tell that I didn't mention here.
    My basic fears of prosecution is not related to the generalized violence in Syria, and it's specifically affect me in person.

So my questions are:

1- Should I apply for the asylum?
    2- I barely can pay my school tuition and I don't think I'll be able to hire or consult an immigration attorney, is that ok?
    3- Will that affect the chances of my family (parents+siblings) of getting a U.S visitor Visa in the future?
    4- Is there anyway I can bring my parents and siblings to the states?
    5- Will that affect my valid F1 Visa?
    6- If I got a denial, will that stop me from applying to H1B visa in the future?

I greatly appreciate your help.
    Thanks in advance.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X