Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asylum Status / i-589 Nunc Pro Tunc

Hey everyone,

This forum seemed like a great place to come seek advice so I decided to join so I could post my situation and possibly receive some help.

I've been in the US since the age of 2 and have always thought I was a US Citizen up until 21 when I wanted to travel abroad. My mother brought us to the US in 1991 and recently in 2010 she became a US Citizen. We received Asylum status in 1994. It's a long story on how or why I'm in this predicament and not a very positive memory.

I submitted an application to adjust my status based on Asylum status in 2012 and was denied because I 'aged out' and needed to submit form i-589 nunc pro tunc. Well I went ahead and submitted my form i-589 nunc pro tunc and went in for my biometrics but that was nearly 2 years ago and I haven't received a notice for an Asylum interview. I've been trying to remain patient but it's beginning to interfere with my life.

In 2011 I traveled to Canada to visit family and I was held up at the border for nearly 3 hours while they checked my documents on return to the US. I've just now noticed that on my Refugee Travel Document there is a i-94 arrival / departure that states that I have been granted Asylum status indefinitely until Dec 31 2999. The i-94 in my Refugee Travel Document is nearly identical to the one shown on page 5 of this website. http://www.dhs.state.mn.us/main/idcp...e=dhs16_159911

Here is where I probably screwed up and didn't know any better when I didn't have money for a lawyer. I am still saving up to see a lawyer and will most likely soon.

I didn't submit the recent i-94 with the asylum stamp when I adjusted status because I didn't realize it was there. I'm an idiot I know! I submitted an old i-94 photocopy that I received with my mother back in 1994.

I recently lost old SSN card and on the card it "Not Valid for Employment" I went in to the SSN office and applied for a replacement. They requested evidence and I showed them my most recent i-94 and they replaced my SSN with one that has no restrictions. This has given me a little hope!

Is the stamp on my i-94 arrival / departure record granting me Asylum? It was given to me at the Port of Entry in Buffalo.
    I didn't receive a letter granting me asylum in the mail. All I have is that i-94 in my travel document. I'm not quite sure how to go about this if anyone could clarify this for me I would greatly appreciate it.

I'm sorry for the wall of text everyone!

Thank you in advance for your help!

Originally posted by CCAsylumCC View Post
    Hey everyone,

This forum seemed like a great place to come seek advice so I decided to join so I could post my situation and possibly receive some help.

I've been in the US since the age of 2 and have always thought I was a US Citizen up until 21 when I wanted to travel abroad. My mother brought us to the US in 1991 and recently in 2010 she became a US Citizen. We received Asylum status in 1994. It's a long story on how or why I'm in this predicament and not a very positive memory.

I submitted an application to adjust my status based on Asylum status in 2012 and was denied because I 'aged out' and needed to submit form i-589 nunc pro tunc. Well I went ahead and submitted my form i-589 nunc pro tunc and went in for my biometrics but that was nearly 2 years ago and I haven't received a notice for an Asylum interview. I've been trying to remain patient but it's beginning to interfere with my life.

In 2011 I traveled to Canada to visit family and I was held up at the border for nearly 3 hours while they checked my documents on return to the US. I've just now noticed that on my Refugee Travel Document there is a i-94 arrival / departure that states that I have been granted Asylum status indefinitely until Dec 31 2999. The i-94 in my Refugee Travel Document is nearly identical to the one shown on page 5 of this website. http://www.dhs.state.mn.us/main/idcp...e=dhs16_159911

Here is where I probably screwed up and didn't know any better when I didn't have money for a lawyer. I am still saving up to see a lawyer and will most likely soon.

I didn't submit the recent i-94 with the asylum stamp when I adjusted status because I didn't realize it was there. I'm an idiot I know! I submitted an old i-94 photocopy that I received with my mother back in 1994.

I recently lost old SSN card and on the card it "Not Valid for Employment" I went in to the SSN office and applied for a replacement. They requested evidence and I showed them my most recent i-94 and they replaced my SSN with one that has no restrictions. This has given me a little hope!

Is the stamp on my i-94 arrival / departure record granting me Asylum? It was given to me at the Port of Entry in Buffalo.
    I didn't receive a letter granting me asylum in the mail. All I have is that i-94 in my travel document. I'm not quite sure how to go about this if anyone could clarify this for me I would greatly appreciate it.

I'm sorry for the wall of text everyone!

Thank you in advance for your help!
    HI i am facing a similar situation, Just got an RFE can you update me regarding your case, how it went and what is the current status of case.
    i would highly appreciate your response and guidance
    please help
    thanks

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X