Filing for biological mother.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filing for biological mother.

We lost our father when we were very young. Our mother couldn't take care of us so she granted custody to a family friend who though them we became US citizens. Recently things have been extremely hard for my mother and there is no way we can help. I was wondering if its possible for us to file for our mother since we were not adopted. Custody was granted to them. Please help me out. thanks.

If you were not adopted, what was the relationship basis that got you to the U.S. when being petitioned? One doesn't obtain a Green Card through a non-relative, and subsequent Naturalization would only have been if in the U.S. with a Green Card for 5 years, or derived citizenship from a parent in the U.S.

A petitionable relationship to your natural mother is no longer available if you were adopted.

--Ray B

Originally posted by leonjoelquainoo View Post
    We lost our father when we were very young. Our mother couldn't take care of us so she granted custody to a family friend who though them we became US citizens. Recently things have been extremely hard for my mother and there is no way we can help. I was wondering if its possible for us to file for our mother since we were not adopted. Custody was granted to them. Please help me out. thanks.

Comment

Citizens can pettition for family members

If you both granted US citizenship and you are over 18 years of age you can petition for you mother to live with you. You also can be residents and file but the process takes much longer vs being a us citizen.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X