Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I-94 expiring... how to get a new I-94 from Canada or Mexican border

Hi.. need urgent help
    My friend has a 10 yr Multiple entry B1/B2 non immigrant U.S visa..
    He came to U.S a few months back and got an I-94 with B1 on it and says he can stay in U.S till November 10.
    I came to know that people on B1/B2 visa can get a new I-94 with new dates of valid stay if they go to Canada or Mexico and come back..
    Please please some kind soul help us out..

what are the procedures he should follow..
    should he need a Canadian visa to go to Canada or can he go to Mexico without a Mexican visa..

When should he leave..
    Can he travel by bus
    Where should he submit his current I-94.
    How many days should he stay in Canada or Mexico.
    Where will he get his new I-94.. with new stay dates
    please help

That trick is pretty old and CBP officers are aware of that, so I will advise not to try it. Visitors should behave like visitors and leave within the permitted duration of stay. Frequent trips and extensions of stay will jeopardize future Visa applications.
    This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by kabkaba View Post
      That trick is pretty old and CBP officers are aware of that, so I will advise not to try it. Visitors should behave like visitors and leave within the permitted duration of stay. Frequent trips and extensions of stay will jeopardize future Visa applications.
      Thank you for the reply sir, what do you suggest he should do..
      he has some important work in US in December.

Comment

Originally posted by ballnam View Post
        Thank you for the reply sir, what do you suggest he should do..
        he has some important work in US in December.
        A stay beyond I-94 without extension makes the visa void so if your friend wants to take the risk by staying till Dec without extension in most likelihood he/she will not be easily allowed to enter back without a new visa and he/she may not get a new visa too in the future. Advisable to leave much before November 10 and re-enter for a few days again in December for the important work.

This i smy opinion not legal advice.

Comment

Is your friend permitted to do the planned work?

Anyway, one can also apply for an extension of stay. Even if it is rejected, which might take a couple of months, one can leave when the work is done. As long as an application is pending, one does not accrue illegal presence.

Comment

Originally posted by raghvi View Post
            A stay beyond I-94 without extension makes the visa void so if your friend wants to take the risk by staying till Dec without extension in most likelihood he/she will not be easily allowed to enter back without a new visa and he/she may not get a new visa too in the future. Advisable to leave much before November 10 and re-enter for a few days again in December for the important work.

This i smy opinion not legal advice.
            thank you raghvi, he does not want to risk his future visa conversions, by staying after his I-94 has expired (Nov 10). But It is too late for asking an extension of stay.. as they strictly ask the applicants to submit the request for extension, 45 days before the expiration date. He is ready to leave U.S by Nov 10 but the question is should he go all the way back to his home country or can he go to the neighboring countries (mex and cana) and come back. What are the advantages and disadvantages of going to the neighboring countries and if he has to go back all the way to his home country, after how many days should he come back, is there any minimum days between exit and re-entry to U.S

Comment

email me a copy of his visa and passport and I will advice you.

Comment

I-94 extension at Eagle Pass, TX - Mexico Border

Hello,
                I am planning to go to Eagle Pass for I-94 extension for my family (H4). Since they I-94 until April 2016 as passport was expiring. Now they got their passport renew, need to get I-94 extension until visa validity (2017). I am thankful if anyone can share their experience at Eagle Pass (Bridge 1 - Garrison Street) for I-94 extension.

Thanks,
                MR24

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                X