Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

B1/B2 for Business Consulting Projects in the US?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B1/B2 for Business Consulting Projects in the US?

Hello, I will be self employed or start working with a US company here in Germany by the beginning of 2014. The first contractor is fix (a US based company) which means I have to be in the States to work on the project. The project would last for 4-6 months on-site in the States then for another probably 3 months after being back in Germany for 4-6 weeks. Salary and taxes in Germany. Is the B1/B2 visa the right one in that case or are there better options? And how do other international consulting companies handle these situations?
    Thx in advance for your help!

Originally posted by CBO29 View Post
    Hello, I will be self employed or start working with a US company here in Germany by the beginning of 2014. The first contractor is fix (a US based company) which means I have to be in the States to work on the project. The project would last for 4-6 months on-site in the States then for another probably 3 months after being back in Germany for 4-6 weeks. Salary and taxes in Germany. Is the B1/B2 visa the right one in that case or are there better options? And how do other international consulting companies handle these situations?
    You cant work on B1. Its for business discussions. You should probably look at H1 or L1 option.

This is my opinion not legal advice.

Comment

Your company already has or will be consulting with a U.S. immigration attorney. This needs to be handled by the company that is sending you, not you. B1/B2 may work but it depends on the nature of the work. Another option is the L-1 but if you have not been working for this company for at least 1 year prior to coming to the U.S., then the L-1 is not an option.

Comment

Originally posted by lisaanderson View Post
        Your company already has or will be consulting with a U.S. immigration attorney. This needs to be handled by the company that is sending you, not you. B1/B2 may work but it depends on the nature of the work. Another option is the L-1 but if you have not been working for this company for at least 1 year prior to coming to the U.S., then the L-1 is not an option.
        The naure of the work is financial consulting and business development to Europe. I also would like to know if it is possible to get 3 months approved and then if needed getting an extension for another 3 months without going back to Germany?

Thanks a lot!

Comment

The naure of the work is financial consulting and business development to Europe. I also would like to know if it is possible to get 3 months approved and then if needed getting an extension for another 3 months without going back to Germany?

Thanks a lot!
          B1/B2 visas are usually given for 6 months or 10 years. The amount of time you are allowed to stay in the U.S. when you enter will be up to the Customs officer. If you show you have to be at meetings for 3 months, they will allow you to stay for 3 months. You may be able to file for an extension but you will need to show the need to stay for the additional 3 months.

Comment

Originally posted by lisaanderson View Post
            B1/B2 visas are usually given for 6 months or 10 years. The amount of time you are allowed to stay in the U.S. when you enter will be up to the Customs officer. If you show you have to be at meetings for 3 months, they will allow you to stay for 3 months. You may be able to file for an extension but you will need to show the need to stay for the additional 3 months.

Can I stay a total of 6 months a year or can I stay e.g. 4 months then another 2-3 months after being back in Germany?
            Thank you!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X