How to convert B1 visa to Student Visa while being in US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to convert B1 visa to Student Visa while being in US

Dear Friends, me and my husband came to US on B1 visa last month for a holiday from India. since we came here for the first time in California, we liked the place very much. we wish to stay here and explore good opportunities for ourselves. still we dont have plans to settle here, but want to be here and work for around 10yrs and then go back.
    unfortunately, one day while we were out in the market place, my bag was stolen in which our passports were also gone. we have reported in the local police station, but we are also looking forward to get visa status converted, in case my husband can enroll in any of the study visa here and we can get chance to live and work here for few years.
    friends I need the information on the below as I am very much confused right now.
    1. Since We have lost our passports, and our visa was for 10yrs, are we able to reissue the visa from California itself.
    2. what will be the procedure, in case we want to enroll in some educational course. can this possible.

looking forward for the valuable answers so as to end my confusion.

a new visa can only be issued outside US. If you leave US, you will have to apply fresh for the visa. First, you must contact the Indian consulate to get yourself new passports. I hope you have made copies of your
    entry stamps. You must download copies of your I-94 from cbp.gov to have documentation that you are in US legally.
    To change to student, you will first have to enrol in a college and then apply for change of status. You will need to show funds for that too.
    All this needs careful planning and may not be done in 6 months of stay that you have. SInce getting new passports will take time.

Whatever you do , do not overstay your time allowed. You can get your fresh visa in INdia if you leave timely. If you try to change status
    and are denied , they won't give you another visa at Indian embassy either.

so plan carefully.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X