Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B1 Visa for Charity clarification

Hi,

I am trying to work for a Charitable (and Not for Profit) organization in the United States, but we have been trying to find the right visa for me. They can't pay any visa fees so it rules out a lot of choices (ie J1) and it doesn't directly require my technical knowledge so it rules out TN (I am an Engineer).

I read on the US Consulate website (to Barbados, mind you) the following bit on using B1 for charity work:

Voluntary Work: Individuals participating in voluntary service programs which benefit a U.S. local community, who can establish that they are a member of, and have a commitment to, a particular recognized religious or nonprofit charitable organization, may be eligible for a B-1 visa if the work to be performed is traditionally done by volunteer charity workers. The individuals must not receive a salary or remuneration from a U.S. source, other than an allowance or other reimbursement for expenses incidental to their stay in the United States and they cannot engage in the selling of articles and/or the solicitation and acceptance of donations.
    1st bolding: Does that mean that locals who have the same role as me, have to be unpaid volunteers? Or can they be paid individuals, but the role itself (ie canvasser) can be unpaid?

2nd bolding: Does anyone know if this means that I can't accept donations on their (so the organization's) behalf? Or if it means I can't accept donations on MY behalf (so into my own pockets)?

Thanks!
    Last edited by bahbahblacksheep; 08-06-2014, 03:55 PM.

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X