Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Travel period specified in DS-160 and actual differ - can it be issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travel period specified in DS-160 and actual differ - can it be issue?

Hello all

This is my first post here and I have a query. Maybe very basic/naive for the experienced ones.

I filled in and submitted my DS-160 couple of days ago. I have applied for B1/B2 visa and I intend to go to USA for training. At the time of filling application, I did not have exact duration with me, so I filled in tentative 2 weeks. Now I have come to know that the training however is going to last 10-12 weeks. My invite letter will also have the duration of 10-12 weeks specified. Will there be a problem during my visa interview as I had filled 2 weeks as duration in DS-160? Or only the duration which will be put at port and on I-94 matters?

I don't want to have any confusion/misunderstandings while answering the questions in interview so I will state the exact period as my invite letter says. The duration is well within B1 visa limit and I am going for training only. I am only worried about the 2 weeks tentative duration I put while filling DS-160. Will it be an issue?

Thanks in advance.

You should answer as you filled in DS160 form.

12 weeks stay for training is a bit high duration for B1.

VO may ask you to go for other category of visa like H1.

This is my opinion not a legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Ideal sol View Post
      You should answer as you filled in DS160 form.

12 weeks stay for training is a bit high duration for B1.

VO may ask you to go for other category of visa like H1.

This is my opinion not a legal advice.
      Thanks.

If I understand correctly, in H1, Employer in US pays. Am I right?
      My expenses will be sponsored by company here in India only and the purpose is training, just that it is bit long as it is about understanding work done by a team and setup from scratch similar team here in India on return.
      My invitation letter will mention 12 weeks, so I am really confused as my DS-160 mentions 2 weeks. Do one gets a chance to explain in such case?

Comment

Yes. You are right.

But, problem is...many people including reputed indian IT companies abused B1 visas previously
        ( they applies for training or business meetings but actual intension is work for shorter periods.)

So, now a days, VOs are rejecting B1 for longer stays like 3 months in most cases. ( I am not saying that they will definitely reject you! )

But you can give a try and I believe that... with a genuine reason, proper documentation and a bit confidence while facing the interview, one can surely get the visa.

The key thing lies in (B) visa is..you should make VO believe that you are going for a genuine reason and you will be returned. The documentation and other things are just supportive.

Check with travel docs people weather you can modify duration in DS160.

Otherwise you can explain to VO, when he/she questions about the duration of stay.

All the best!

This is my personal opinion. Not a legal advice.

Comment

Please post your experience after the visa interview. That may help many others.

Comment

One of my Colleague got his VISA rejected, because he applied for 6 weeks.. but post tat other colleagues applied for 4 weeks, and got the visas..
            It varies from person to person!!

Comment

Hello all.

Thanks for your responses. My duration problem got solved in a way. As I was yet to schedule appointment, I refilled DS-160 with 10 weeks duration. However, I will still need to explain and justify the duration of 10 weeks. I don't work in IT company and my company doesn't send many people throughout the year to US. Number of people going from my Company to US must be miniscule as compared to IT companies. Will it help regarding the doubts VO might have about abusing this Visa for work purpose on account of good track record of company? My purpose is business meetings and training only. More of knowledge transition. Moreover, it is not any client I am visiting but parent company of my organization only.

I will post my experiences here after interview. Hopefully it will go OK, fingers crossed.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by US-B1 View Post
              One of my Colleague got his VISA rejected, because he applied for 6 weeks.. but post tat other colleagues applied for 4 weeks, and got the visas..
              It varies from person to person!!
              Was that given as reason for rejection? The 6 weeks duration?

Comment

DS160 Departure and Arrival Date is differ than Actual - Pls Help

In Ds 160 , I gave Date of Arrival as 06-DEC -14. But My Interview Schedule on 8-DEC-14. Will these be a problem in Interview? Do I need to submit DS160 again. Please help me.

Comment

You have to start new thread, when asking a question.

Any ways, what is your purpose of visit?

if it is tourism, then you may explain VO that you changed your plan slightly.

But if business visit, especially. .conference/trade fair, you should complete the interview before the event date.

This is my opinion, not a legal advice.
                  Last edited by Ideal sol; 12-03-2014, 10:16 PM.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                  X