Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B1 Visa Application Rejected

Hi,

I'm working as a Senior software engineer in X company (is a member of BEP program, if that matters). I've applied for Business Visa during last month and got rejected citing 12 weeks as longer duration for Knowledge sharing sessions. Below was my experience during Visa interview - Please provide me your valuable suggestions

Last person left and VO asked me to come forward

Me: Hi Sir, Good morning
    VO: Good morning

VO: Please provide me your passport
    Me: Sure - handed over the passport

VO: What is the purpose of your visit?
    Me: I need to participate in business meetings and Knowledge sharing sessions

VO: Where are working?
    Me: X company

VO: Since how long you're working in this company?
    Me: 3 years and 2 months

VO: What is your annual salary?
    Me: X lakhs and XX thousand rupees

VO: What is the duration of your trip?
    Me: 12 weeks

VO: What are you going to do in 12 weeks?
    Me: I'm going to participate in business meetings and knowledge sharing sessions where I need to take care of on boarding of resources who will be joining our team during next month. So, I'll be conducting application and database design trainings. And also, I need to participate in product design meetings.

VO: You applied for B1 or B1/B2?
    Me: B1/B2 (*** Actually, I've submitted my DS-160 form with Visa type as B1 but when my company scheduled the interview, they've selected B1/B2 and that could be the reason, VO asked this question ***)

VO: Your credentials are good but 12 weeks is more for Knowledge sharing sessions so I'm going to reject your visa. You can apply again with H1B visa.
    Me: Sir, this trip is purely for knowledge sharing sessions & meetings. Let me explain you what I'll be doing during the duration of the trip.

VO: We can not give you visa at this time, please go for H1B visa.

VO signaled the next guy to come front and provided me the 214 (B) form. I went back to my company and started processing my B1/B2 visa again but with a shorter duration of 8 weeks this time and yet to schedule the appointment for Visa interview. Please provide your valuable suggestions so that I can prepare well this time.

Also, please let me know the possible questions VO will be asking when I go for Visa interview next time.

Thanks
    Last edited by manchikatla; 09-27-2014, 02:55 PM.

there is nothing much to comment as the only flaw in your application was the long duration. This is a common reason for denial for B1s. As some companies
    misuse a B1 visa and make the employees work in US .
    Even 8 weeks is too long. You should go for business meetings for 1-3 weeks not more.

You should not apply again on the current assignment. Let it go this time. Wait for a few months and apply with a new assignment of 1-3 weeks duration only.
    Last edited by peace999; 09-27-2014, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Applying again with 6 weeks duration

Hi,

Thanks for your response!

I'm applying again and my Visa interview is scheduled for next week. Last time, my Visa got rejected citing 12 weeks as longer duration. So I've submitted DS-160 with 8 weeks duration this time but later my employer told me that we'll go for 6 weeks (as he don't want to take risk of rejection again). Could you please tell me if there will be any problem if the duration in DS-160 and the invitation letter is not matching?

Thanks,
      Murali

Comment

8 weeks is too long for a BR visa. What really helps is to quote days, say for example, 8 days. At the port of entry, the immigration officer will likely grant you 6 months. This will be more than enough for you.
        In my interview, I said 12 days and when I got to the US, I stayed a month.

Comment

Originally posted by peace999 View Post
          there is nothing much to comment as the only flaw in your application was the long duration. This is a common reason for denial for B1s. As some companies
          misuse a B1 visa and make the employees work in US .
          Even 8 weeks is too long. You should go for business meetings for 1-3 weeks not more.

You should not apply again on the current assignment. Let it go this time. Wait for a few months and apply with a new assignment of 1-3 weeks duration only.
          Hi peace99,
          what you mean new assignment? my visa also twice refused on same scenario, going to reapply with same assignment as its pending(training).please reply

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X