Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B-1 visa for job interview in USA

Hi,

I am a software developer, currently staying in Bangalore, India. I am interviewing with companies in the US and a couple of them have invited me for on-site interviews in the US. (I have previously worked in US for 3.5 years with H1-B and my new H1-B should be cap-exempt). I am now thinking about how to safely take up the on-site interviews. I saw on this forum that B-1 visa is appropriate to attend job interviews in US. I have a couple of questions:
    1. How long can I stay in the US, if I'm taking up B-1 visa? (I would like to stay for at least 2 weeks and have more on-site interviews scheduled. Want to have better chances of getting one job at least)
    2. Is the 30-60 rule applicable for both B-1 and B-2 visa or only B-2 visa? After traveling to US on B-1, is it risky to apply for H1-B change of status immediately and so should I wait for a certain period of time? (60 days, 90 days, etc.)

I really appreciate any input on these questions.

Thank you!

I'd be interested in that as well. From my understanding, you shouldn't have any issues interviewing with companies on a B1 but officially you are not allowed to. If you have previously had an H1B that you need to transfer, it should make things easier as well. I don't know of any good solution that lets people interview for jobs when they were previously on H1B that is still valid.

Have you looked into the B1 and what you will say if asked at the embassy why you are applying for it?

Comment

Thank you

------------------------
      http://financialnewss.com/

Comment

Hi brutzel, thank you for the response. Actually, I'm not sure as of now what I could say (for B-1) at the time of the visa interview. One company is ready to fly me to Seattle - I will be checking with them what information I need to provide at the time of visa interview.

I have one further question - when attending on-site interviews in the US, will I be allowed to stay in the US strictly for the interview duration (or will I be able to stay a few extra days after the interview) ?

Comment

Originally posted by anakinNYC View Post
          Hi brutzel, thank you for the response. Actually, I'm not sure as of now what I could say (for B-1) at the time of the visa interview. One company is ready to fly me to Seattle - I will be checking with them what information I need to provide at the time of visa interview.

I have one further question - when attending on-site interviews in the US, will I be allowed to stay in the US strictly for the interview duration (or will I be able to stay a few extra days after the interview) ?
          anakinNYC , I am in a similar situation where the company is ready to fly me for an interview, did you get b1 and then h1b petitioned ( for remainder time ) and hence the visa ?

Can anyone suggest me what is the best approach, if you have h1b ( with reminder time ) and a US company asks for onsite interview ?

Comment

One is not suppose to give interview or look for a job being on a B1 visa - its illegal. It may impact on your next H1B visa stamping.

Ask your prospect employer to take the interview on Skype or other video conferencing means.
            - I am not an Attorney, hence not giving any legal advice. Just sharing MY opinion with an intent to help others.

If my opinion helping you, then please do click "like" button below.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X