B1 visa with annotation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B1 visa with annotation

I have posted a similar question weeks ago.. But I just want to ask for additional opinions/clarifications. I was given a B1 visa single entry. But it has an annotation saying "To take USMLE Step CS on May 2015 - Philadelphia, PA"

1. Does this mean Philly has to be my port of entry? I plan to be staying with my brother for several days before the exam to recover from jet lag and rest before the exam. But he lives in Arkansas. Can I enter at Dallas with a connecting flight to Arkansas and just show that I have tickets to Philly several days after arrival?
    2. Does it mean that I can only do what is said in the annotation? I would like to get 2 months of stay because I also plan to visit some friends and family after the exam. Can I say to the officer at the POE that I will also be visiting people after the exam? Or will this be a problem because of the annotation?
    3. Does the annotation restrict me from doing anything else except take the exam?

Your response is highly appreciated. Thanks

Just a follow up question:

>If the annotation says "To take USMLE Step 2 CS in May 2015 - Philadelphia." Does it mean I have to get home before June?

Comment

What is the validity date mentioned on the visa other than annotation?

Comment

Originally posted by Ideal sol View Post
        What is the validity date mentioned on the visa other than annotation?
        It was issued on Feb 2015 and the Expiry date is May 23,2015. I have a cousin who was given a single entry visa with a similar annotation. He said he was also visiting family after the exam and was given 6 months. That kind of gives me hope. But I know a different immigration officer might have a different decision.

Comment

Yes, your i94 will decide your stay in the US. But, you have to book your return ticket few days before, actual validity of the visa and if you want, you can change it later, based on the i94.

You can enter from any POE few days before your exam but you should mention your purpose as attending for the exam and intended date of return as per your flight ticket. And you may express your interest in visiting couple of places and friends if you want.

Generally they give 6 months for the first time but it all depends on the IO, who will deal with you on that day. Your answers to all the questions, should match with your DS160 form and visa interview, which held in your home country.

This is my opinion, not a legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X