Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

B1 Visa Rejected- First time application - Interview went smooth but no clue why

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B1 Visa Rejected- First time application - Interview went smooth but no clue why

I appeared for a B1/B2 visa interview for the first time at the US Embassy New Delhi on 21st Feb(Time Slot 1045).
    After reading the contents on this website carefully , i prepared myself accordingly , dressed up in full formals (with blazed and tie- clean shaved) and went through the queue following the procedures and trying to maintain a calm demeanor.

Stood on booth no 19 for my Interview.
    The person in front of me took a long time explaining his case and the female interviewer kept asking him questions to justify his case.
    Here , i am trying not to get nervous and concentrate on myself since it was my first time. The person in front gets rejected and walks back slowly.
    After a short while
    VO : Come please
    Good morning ! Can i have your passport.?
    Me: Good morning officer! Here (hands over the passport)

VO: So why are you going to the US
    Me: I need to understand the new functional requirements for our Source to Pay project ..and some knowledge transfer sessions on project roadmap.

VO: (Looking at the monitor) What do you do
    Me: I am a Senior Software engineer in the Research and Development department. We make new features and enhancements to the YYYY company product which sells across the US (First line is from DS 160 form, second line added by me to explain the significance since there is a limit of words in the application form)

VO: What is your salary?
    Me: xxx INR annually and xxx amount per month

VO: How long have you been involved with this company
    Me: 1year 11 months . (Added after a while) Previously have had 5.5 years of experience in the same domain in the previous company

VO: Oh i see you were in FRANCE. For business purpose?
    Me: No , i went as a tourist last year , on my honeymoon . just got married last year

VO: (out of nowhere, looks at the screen and says) Did you study in the US?
    Me : No

VO: Have you ever applied VISA to the US before?
    Me: No

VO: (Types for a long time and to my shock sticks out the dreaded green paper with the 214 (b) refusal reasons) Sorry, we are unable to approve your visa this time.
    Me: Ok ( I am really shocked at this time since i talked really confidently and communication was loud and clear and i was maintaining eye contact for most of the time( not all the time). And she did not grill me on any question like she was doing to the previous candidate)

Moreover, she did not see any documents. I had a bulk of visa documents like Invitation Letter , Agenda of my visit , CA asset evaluation etc.
    Should i have answered the "purpose" questions and handed over the invitation letter to her and done the same through the interview- i.e answer the question and give document for evidence.
    I took the crisp and short approach this time and did

Can somebody guide me on the mistakes i did?
    Not sure what wrong did i do here in the interview. Now i m perplexed whether to try again immediately or give it some cooling off time.
    Do they not give it to young professions just completing 2 years in the company?

Not sure what went wrong and what all steps to follow in the future.

Originally posted by sidharthjohnian View Post
    I appeared for a B1/B2 visa interview for the first time at the US Embassy New Delhi on 21st Feb(Time Slot 1045).
    After reading the contents on this website carefully , i prepared myself accordingly , dressed up in full formals (with blazed and tie- clean shaved) and went through the queue following the procedures and trying to maintain a calm demeanor.

Can somebody guide me on the mistakes i did?
    Not sure what wrong did i do here in the interview. Now i m perplexed whether to try again immediately or give it some cooling off time.
    Do they not give it to young professions just completing 2 years in the company?

Not sure what went wrong and what all steps to follow in the future.
    Note that, its not only the interview Q&A which decides your fate for the visa - its your whole profile being scrutinized. 99% of the time VO doesn't ask for document (they have multiple ways to identify you telling truth of not).

My quick observation, why does an Software Engineer need to travel to USA to gather requirements - its should be done by either PM or TL - this could be a reason.

2 years in a company is good time for the visa, however what is your total experience could add more value.
    - I am not an Attorney, hence not giving any legal advice. Just sharing MY opinion with an intent to help others.

If my opinion helping you, then please do click "like" button below.

Comment

As per the suggestions on immihelp , i gave some cooling period after my B1 VISA rejection in Feb 2019. Also, it gave me some time to reflect on the reasons of denial.
      After re-scanning out the DS-160 form , which is filled by company travel agent , i can could see some possible mistakes :

-- The visa category in my form was BUSINESS & TOURISM (TEMPORARY VISITOR) (B1/B2) , although i think it should have been BUSINESS/CONFERENCE(B1)
      This is because my purpose was for business itself and that is what I highlighted in my interview when asked of the purpose.
      -- In my DS-160 form i cannot see the purpose(Knowledge transfer sessions) written in any column by the company agent.
      -- In my interview i highlighted the purpose - "
      I need to understand the new functional requirements for our Source to Pay project ..and some knowledge transfer sessions on project roadmap
      "
      As suggested by Libra_14 , this does not map to my role of Senior Software Engineer.

Q1- Do you guys agree that the above are significant reasons for rejection?

Now, my company wants me to re-apply and this time as there is a training for a week which they need to send 5 people to US.

Now as per my purpose , i'm going to state that
      I have a mandatory product training that i need to attend in US which I further need to explain to the team in India who is supposed to start functioning from next month.
      Q2- Does this purpose align well with the role of a Senior Software Engineer or it needs modification?Suggest please?

The 214(b) form says that there should be a considerable change in circumstances. My salary has increased a bit , but nothing else has changed , except for my purpose which is more aligned with my role in project.

Q3- Does it make sense to apply again since i feel there were some DS-160 mistakes that might have caused the previous refusal?

Note:- My company in India and my company in US have similar names - YYYY XX India and YYYY XX Inc

Q4- Will the officer think that the US company is same and not a client that is inviting me?

Lastly , we are 5 of us that need to attend the training.

Q5 - Should we apply the same day(same appointment) as that would showcase that it is indeed a training , or should we apply different dates?

Q6 - Should i fill the form myself , or let the company agent fill it so that it seems more legit. Ofcourse, I will be scanning it over and over this time to iron out any mistakes.

Looking forward for you advise/suggestions eagerly.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X