Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Request for Advice on B-1 visa application

Hi,

I need to apply for a B-1 visa sometime in September 2009. My company is part of the BEP, so will be applying through that. I'll be in the US for 7-10 days. By September 2009, I'll be a little less than an year old in my firm. I am 30 years old, own a house and am in a middle management position with a global consulting company.

In April 2009, blissfully unaware of the stringent visa norms, I applied for a B-2 visa to visit some friends. However, my app was rejected because of section 214 (B). I think the visa officer did a fair job cos I am single and at that particular time I was 4-5 months old in the firm.

He asked my salary (INR16,00,000), income as per my tax returns for last year (INR 13,00,000), period of my stay, places I would visit, then tried to ascertain how long i had been with my firm or whether I was the owner of this firm. My B-2 visa application was rejected cos of Sec 214(B). He also told me that I could reapply and a different VO may have a view favorable to me.

So my query is whether I should apply for B-1 Visa (BEP route) at all or should I tell my firm that I can't go because my B-2 Visa app. has been rejected once and so there is no chance of me getting a B-1 visa as well. To be fair to them, they'll organize for my tickets, accomodation and other logistics, my counterparts in the US firm would incur some efforts as well. So was kind of wondering?

A friend told me that sometime before traveling to the US, I could travel on Business (thru BEP) to UK . After that I could apply for a B-1 to the US. In that case the VO will at least have some demonstrable proof and comfort of knowing that this person is a genuine business traveler and not a Potential Immigrant! It seems sensible to me but your opinion is invited.

I would like to take all precautions before applying for a B-1 to the US because if my visa app gets rejected again, it will become a career limiting situation. I will never be able to travel to US on business and given the nature of my employer's business, one does need to travel to the US.

I was told that once a Visa app is rejected, last page of the passport has this visa app rejected stamp. I don't see any such thing on any of the pages of my passport? Has the process changed? Have they discontinued stamping VISA app. rejected? I do have this HDFC Bank sticker (visa application fees) on the front cover of my passport.

Any thoughts or words of advice will be welcome? I wonder why at all I applied for a tourist visa in April 2009 . Look forward to some honest opinion!!

Kind regards

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X