Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is a H4 visa required for my Child?

Hi
    My self and my wife are indian citizens here in the US on H1/H4 Visa. We are expecting a child soon and the child would be born in the US. Since the child is born in the US he/she would be a US citizen by birth. However we would like to register him as a citizen of India (for some other reasons) and get him/her an Indian Passport. The US accepts dual citizenship but India doesnot. Hence the child cannot apply for a US passport as per indian law. My question is under these circumstances can my child travel abroad and enter the USA with an Indian Passport and a Birth Certificate (Born in US) or would he/she need a H4 Visa.

Thanks

Ravi

Visa for America born child

We have been hearing about Indian Parliament inching towards passing the bill allowing dual citizenship and that could happen as soon as this year. If that happens a person with both the passports will not need a visa to travel between the two countries and visa-less travel for many more countries with the US passport.

Even if your child has a US passport right now for travel purposes, I believe when the child is 18, a decision will then have to be made whether as to remain a US citizen or to revert back to the citizenship of the parents' country. The child will then have the optionof getting an Indian passport. But I am very curious... as you may see from all these fora, people are struggling to get an American passport.:\

Comment

Hi,

I have the same problem.
      Please let me know if you were able to obtain an H4 visa for the child?
      Or get into the US without getting the US passport?

Thanks,

Comment

At this time, person can either be Indian citizen or American citizen. Not both at the same time.

(News gets published all the time about India's proposed dual citizenship, but nothing concrete has happened yet.)

If you are Indian citizen, you need visa to enter US, just all other Indian citizens.
        Immihelp Support
        No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Comment

We have the same problem: An Indian parent with a baby born in the U.S.

<<At this time, person can either be Indian citizen or American citizen. Not both at the same time.>>

Not entirely true. The Indian government by law is supposed to accept a person having both Indian and other citizenship as long as the other citizenship is not voluntarily acquired. But they don't accept a person having the PASSPORT of both India and the other country.

Also, even if you get an Indian passport for your baby, the U.S. still considers it a U.S. citizen. The parents can not do anything about it. The baby can change that only after growing up.

To make matters worse, the U.S. requires U.S. citizens to use a U.S. passport when entering the U.S. Since this contradicts the Indian rule, international travel is complicated.

We need to go on a trip to India with our baby this year, and we hope she won't lose Indian citizenship by doing this.

Anyone else with this problem, please send us a message. We want to find others so we can share our experiences.

Comment

Travel back to US with Indian passport

Hi

Wondering what is the experience if a child born in US, travels to India on an Indian passport and wants to travel back to US for a visit.

Does the embassy insist on issuing a US passport for the child. And if so what happens to the Indian passport.

Any help would be highly appreciated

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X