No announcement yet.

How soon can we apply for citizenship?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How soon can we apply for citizenship?

Hello

I know this must be posted somewhere but a quick search didnt yield any results. I will be 6 months away from the completion of my 5th yr of GC. My wife and I want to apply for US citizenship and was wondering if can we do it after Feb 25 ( which would fall within 6 months of completion of 5 yrs with GC ).

We are not planning to apply thru a lawyer but ourselves as I heard that its an easy process if we dont have any complications which we dont.

Thanks in advance

Originally posted by mnsweeps
    Hello

I know this must be posted somewhere but a quick search didnt yield any results. I will be 6 months away from the completion of my 5th yr of GC. My wife and I want to apply for US citizenship and was wondering if can we do it after Feb 25 ( which would fall within 6 months of completion of 5 yrs with GC ).

We are not planning to apply thru a lawyer but ourselves as I heard that its an easy process if we dont have any complications which we dont.

Thanks in advance
    Page 22 of "A Guide to Naturalization"
    These tips can help you find what you are looking for: Check the URL (web address) for proper spelling and completeness; Use our

Comment

You can apply for citizenship 90 days prior to completing your 5 years of residency in the US. So after residing for 4 years and 9 months you can apply. We applied for ciitizenship about 80 days before completing our 5 years just to be on safe side. If you apply even one day earlier than the 90 days your application will be rejected.

Hope this helps

Comment

Originally posted by tdesai
        Page 22 of "A Guide to Naturalization"
        http://uscis.gov/graphics/services/natz/guide.htm
        It doesnt say anything about 30 or 60 days before completion of 5 yrs of GC.

Comment

Does it have to be 5 years after a green card.. or just 5 years after residency (for example if we just obtained a green card and have been living here for 5 yrs as an H1)?

Comment

Originally posted by mnsweeps
            It doesnt say anything about 30 or 60 days before completion of 5 yrs of GC.
            It's page 22 of the guide. And page 26 of the pdf document..it's there..

you can also do find in the pdf document..look for 90 days

Comment

Originally posted by tdesai
              It's page 22 of the guide. And page 26 of the pdf document..it's there..

you can also do find in the pdf document..look for 90 days

thanks ..got it..

Comment

Originally posted by star45
                Does it have to be 5 years after a green card.. or just 5 years after residency (for example if we just obtained a green card and have been living here for 5 yrs as an H1)?

It has to be 5 yrs after a green card. Your continous stay begins when you achieve the Immigrant Status. You are on a non-immigrant status on H1.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                X