Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N-400 Based on 5 Year PR - Documentation Requirements

Hi all,

I have received a lot of useful information from the forums on this site over the years so thank you for that.

I received my marriage based conditional GC in 2010 and the permanent GC in 2012. Now I am applying for citizenship and I was advised that I should apply for citizenship based on the 5 year rule rather than 3 year (marriage based) rule.

We are happily married and have a new born child. I would like to confirm what all should be sent to USCIS with the completed form N-400 besides the copies of front and back of GC and a check for $725. I have read cases where people sent marriage certificate and birth certificate(s) of child(ren) and copies of taxes even though the application was based on the 5 year GC rule.

I would greatly appreciate your feedback regarding what all should be included in the package. If tax documents are required, do I send transcripts for 5 years or 3?

Thanks in advance!

The advantage of applying under the "5-year rule" is that the burden of evidence is lighter because there is minimal emphasis on your marital relationship (except for questions to assess how you obtained your Green Card).

Normally, with the "5-year" application, you should include:

1. G-1145 form
    2. Check for $725
    3. Completed and signed N400
    4. Copies of front and back of your Green Card

I also recommend a copy of your most recent form 1040 of your Federal income tax return. There is no "income test" with this application, but evidence of your filing tax return is a good idea.

--Ray B

Originally posted by bunny348 View Post
    Hi all,

I have received a lot of useful information from the forums on this site over the years so thank you for that.

I received my marriage based conditional GC in 2010 and the permanent GC in 2012. Now I am applying for citizenship and I was advised that I should apply for citizenship based on the 5 year rule rather than 3 year (marriage based) rule.

We are happily married and have a new born child. I would like to confirm what all should be sent to USCIS with the completed form N-400 besides the copies of front and back of GC and a check for $725. I have read cases where people sent marriage certificate and birth certificate(s) of child(ren) and copies of taxes even though the application was based on the 5 year GC rule.

I would greatly appreciate your feedback regarding what all should be included in the package. If tax documents are required, do I send transcripts for 5 years or 3?

Thanks in advance!

Comment

Thank you for the response Ray!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X