Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

During my N400 application interview for naturalization the officer keeps suspecting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• During my N400 application interview for naturalization the officer keeps suspecting

During my N400 application interview the officer keeps suspecting marriage fraud and then he I kept telling it wasn't and since English was not my first language I made a mistake because he asked an address seven years ago that I don't remember. He kept asking information about my previous marriage and said if it was true love. I told him I loved him at that time but I don't love him anymore. He then ask me what I do for true love, but I don't love him anymore and don't remember what I did during that incident. And then he kept asking me very technical questions about the addresses from seven years ago and travel records on what I did for true love and where he worked. But it has been so long and then I told him I don't remember. He said I should remember but I really don't. On the form he told me he need to review file and then said don' t worry. Should I cancel application or wait? He then took my fingerprints and picture

Originally posted by jennylee23 View Post
    During my N400 application interview the officer keeps suspecting marriage fraud and then he I kept telling it wasn't and since English was not my first language I made a mistake because he asked an address seven years ago that I don't remember. He kept asking information about my previous marriage and said if it was true love. I told him I loved him at that time but I don't love him anymore. He then ask me what I do for true love, but I don't love him anymore and don't remember what I did during that incident. And then he kept asking me very technical questions about the addresses from seven years ago and travel records on what I did for true love and where he worked. But it has been so long and then I told him I don't remember. He said I should remember but I really don't. On the form he told me he need to review file and then said don' t worry. Should I cancel application or wait? He then took my fingerprints and picture
    He sounds very suspicious.
    I am surprised that he asked about an address 7 years ago. Try to find out what the old address is for the next interview. Did you pass the exam? If you did, he would have given you a paper that said that you passed. If you didn't pass, did he give you a paper stating what is needed from you? I would call USCIS and ask them what is the status of your application. You can always ask for a supervisor if the officer makes you uncomfortable with his questioning. I don't usually advise this, but I am confused as to why he expected you to know your address from 7 years ago. Maybe a senior member can comment.

Comment

Originally posted by suziq38 View Post
      He sounds very suspicious.
      I am surprised that he asked about an address 7 years ago. Try to find out what the old address is for the next interview. Did you pass the exam? If you did, he would have given you a paper that said that you passed. If you didn't pass, did he give you a paper stating what is needed from you? I would call USCIS and ask them what is the status of your application. You can always ask for a supervisor if the officer makes you uncomfortable with his questioning. I don't usually advise this, but I am confused as to why he expected you to know your address from 7 years ago. Maybe a senior member can comment.
      He gave me a paper that just said need time to review file and he said it may take a few months that was all.

Comment

Originally posted by jennylee23 View Post
        Jennylee23,

I am sorry that happened to you. Would you share a bit more about your timeline?
        1. When did you get your Conditional Green Card?
        2. When was your I-751 approved or when did you get your 10 year card?
        3. When did you divorce your now ex-husband?

It sounds like you applied under the 5 year rule. The ISO had no grounds to revisit whether your former marriage was a bona fide marriage or not. Your I-751 was approved. Case closed. You did not apply under the 3 year rule. Otherwise, your spouse would have had to be there. And you would have had to present evidence that you two continue to be married. The last time that you were required to show evidence of bona fide marriage was for your I-751. In the unfortunate event that a marriage does not survive the first 2 or 3 years, this is not supposed to haunt you all the way to your naturalization interview under the 5 year rule.

In a nutshell, you were not treated fairly. He can only confirm the dates of your marriage and is supposed to move on. And should do so quickly, because they have to get through a zillion questions about terrorism, genocide, extortion - you've seen the list. I strongly suggest that you lawyer up. Lawyers have an uncanny sobering effect on ISOs. The moment a lawyer is present, everyone starts behaving according to the rules and follows policies and procedures. A lawyer will ensure that you are treated fairly next time. I guarantee you that the ISO would not have dragged out the topic like that, had a lawyer been present. Why? The lawyer would have told the ISO the I-751 had been approved 2 years ago and reminded him/her you are applying under the 5 year rule like ANY OTHER legal permanent resident.

When I had my naturalization interview, I was still married to my former spouse. At this point, it was close to the 5 year mark. We lived in different states at that point. I was in college and we just weren't getting along. So I did my N-400 under the 5 year rule. I was asked "Are you still married to Jane Doe?" Yes, Sir, I am. - "Oh, but you're applying under the 5 year rule and that's why she's not here" Smiled. Done. That's how it was supposed to be for you and how it is for most people.

Do yourself a favor and pull your credit reports and take note of all the addresses that show up on your report. I moved around a lot and did that for my N-400. I brought that with me to the interview. It was so many I seriously wasn't going to spend time memorizing zip codes and apartment numbers.

The lawyer doesn't even have to do anything. He/she will just sit there and ensure you are treated fairly. Sorry

Comment

Are there any updates on your case? I’m freaking out..

Comment

Originally posted by Lina123 View Post
            Are there any updates on your case? I’m freaking out..
            Any update on your case? Any help is appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by ramdil View Post

No, I haven’t applied yet. Just the situation described above us so odd.. I’d love to know what happened next with that. Have you applied? What’s your story?

Comment

Originally posted by Lina123 View Post

No, I haven’t applied yet. Just the situation described above us so odd.. I’d love to know what happened next with that. Have you applied? What’s your story?
                I divorced my ex-wife (Citizen) 5 months after getting 10 year GC.

I married my current wife (non citizen) 2 years after divorce. She was in the country on work visa and had to leave the country since her work visa expired.

I am now eligible for citizenship. I am little worried that they might question my divorce 5 months after getting GC. I also want to apply for GC for my current wife once I get my citizenship.

I have ton of proofs to prove that both of my marriage was entered in good faith. I am still in touch with my ex-wife and we maintain decent relationship.

Comment

Chill out people. This thread is so old that the OP is probably a citizen and long gone.

People get married and people get divorced.. everyone knows that... even the USCIS people. :-)

If the interviewer was having a bad hair day he/she was just being a pain in the place where the sun doesn't shine.
                  Not nice and not fair.. maybe he/she has since been fired or got some empathy training or maybe even got a life.

My interviewing officer was a nice guy and I spent most of the interview chatting to him about his office decorations and places he traveled in the armed forces.
                  The rest of the time we just boringly went through each and every question on the N400 fixing any minor errors as we went along.

Comment

Originally posted by N400questions View Post
                    Chill out people. This thread is so old that the OP is probably a citizen and long gone.

People get married and people get divorced.. everyone knows that... even the USCIS people. :-)

If the interviewer was having a bad hair day he/she was just being a pain in the place where the sun doesn't shine.
                    Not nice and not fair.. maybe he/she has since been fired or got some empathy training or maybe even got a life.

My interviewing officer was a nice guy and I spent most of the interview chatting to him about his office decorations and places he traveled in the armed forces.
                    The rest of the time we just boringly went through each and every question on the N400 fixing any minor errors as we went along.

Hello to my favorite senior member! Nice to see you here were you divorced from your spouse too? I think that’s what the freak out is about ????????‍♀️
                    Thank you!

Comment

I divorced my ex-wife (Citizen) 5 months after getting 10 year GC.

I married my current wife (non citizen) 2 years after divorce. She was in the country on work visa and had to leave the country since her work visa expired.

I am now eligible for citizenship. I am little worried that they might question my divorce 5 months after getting GC. I also want to apply for GC for my current wife once I get my citizenship.

I have ton of proofs to prove that both of my marriage was entered in good faith. I am still in touch with my ex-wife and we maintain decent relationship.
                      When did you two get separated before divorce?

Comment

Hey, did you have I-751 interview or were you mailed your gc without interview?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                        X