Need Certificate of Naturalization

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Certificate of Naturalization

Background: I was born abroad, came to the US when I was 5 with my parents. My mother naturalized when I was 14; she asked if I wanted to naturalize too, so I did. My mother did the whole naturalization process including the oath and receiving the certificate. As such I have held a US passport for the past two decades and it has served as proof of citizenship for just about everything. Now I am applying for a particular license and one of the documents I must submit is a US Birth Certificate or a US Certificate of Naturalization. The US Passport is not accepted as proof.

I've done some research and from what I've gathered I must go through the same process that my mother went through two decades ago just so I can get the Certificate of Naturalization. While, I like to keep track of most things, I have my previous passport, date of entry, etc., but I am missing some information like date that I first received my I-551 (LPR) and location that my status was adjusted. Basically everything about the form is based on the assumption that I should have all the documentation in front of me, instead of I am going through old passports, notes, and scans of documents, that may or may not be correct information and this is very frustrating. The documents I must submit include my parents marriage certificate which is in a foreign language, meaning (1) I need to get a copy of it and it's not in the US [though my mother says she will find it for me when she goes back next month], (2) I need to get it translated... there is the issue where I do not have proof of legal permanent residence, and stuff like that.

Basically is there something easier I can do?

Also the fee is $1350, seems kind of ridiculous seeing it says if they deny my application they may not give the money back, so I want to make sure this is the right route to go through before I go further.

Thanks in advance!

Originally posted by rxnrxn View Post
    Background: I was born abroad, came to the US when I was 5 with my parents. My mother naturalized when I was 14; she asked if I wanted to naturalize too, so I did. My mother did the whole naturalization process including the oath and receiving the certificate. As such I have held a US passport for the past two decades and it has served as proof of citizenship for just about everything. Now I am applying for a particular license and one of the documents I must submit is a US Birth Certificate or a US Certificate of Naturalization. The US Passport is not accepted as proof.

I've done some research and from what I've gathered I must go through the same process that my mother went through two decades ago just so I can get the Certificate of Naturalization. While, I like to keep track of most things, I have my previous passport, date of entry, etc., but I am missing some information like date that I first received my I-551 (LPR) and location that my status was adjusted. Basically everything about the form is based on the assumption that I should have all the documentation in front of me, instead of I am going through old passports, notes, and scans of documents, that may or may not be correct information and this is very frustrating. The documents I must submit include my parents marriage certificate which is in a foreign language, meaning (1) I need to get a copy of it and it's not in the US [though my mother says she will find it for me when she goes back next month], (2) I need to get it translated... there is the issue where I do not have proof of legal permanent residence, and stuff like that.

Basically is there something easier I can do?

Also the fee is $1350, seems kind of ridiculous seeing it says if they deny my application they may not give the money back, so I want to make sure this is the right route to go through before I go further.

Thanks in advance!
    Someone in your situation cannot get a "Certificate of Naturalization". Only people who applied for naturalization as adults get a "Certificate of Naturalization". You are already a US citizen and cannot apply for naturalization now.

You automatically became a citizen when your mother naturalized. You can apply for a "Certificate of Citizenship" if you want, though it is not generally necessary. A US passport should serve as just as good of a proof of citizenship in most cases. To apply for a "Certificate of Citizenship", you would file N-600, and the fee is $1170, not $1350 (not sure where you got that from).

I am not sure what you mean when you wrote "she asked if I wanted to naturalize too, so I did". You became a citizen automatically, so there was no choice for you to make. Do you mean she applied for a "Certificate of Citizenship" previously? If so, and you lost it, you would have to apply for a replacement with N-565.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Thanks for the response. I guess I didn?t really have a choice when my mother naturalized.

I think I got the form wrong. I am trying to apply for the Certificate of Citizenship. Clearly I need to do more research.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X